Carbs in my beer

You guys… working on those 6-pack abs… I’ve got you beat… I’m working on 12-pack abs! Winter and around the holidays is where I put on the extra luggage… We didn’t get much snow here, so ah… Well, didn’t get as much exercise, now I’ve got to push to get going… Spring will get me outside and the weight will drop… Big brews, big butt… small brews… small butt… Sort of. Sneezles61

Yeah, that’s a good point. I’m just thinking in general terms, if you get some longer chain molecules that can’t be digested, all things being equal if brett metabolizes them into ethanol, you’ll have more calories in one than the other. Certainly not bad from a carb point of view, but not necessarily better either. Of course, if it’s complex enough that it can’t be digested, it won’t make one bit of difference as far as carbs go. Again, just thinking out loud.

yeah there’s plenty about all this I don’t understand. Like Cat, I know it works for me but probably not everybody. But to get back to the OP, does anybody know how Michelob claims to get the 2.6 carbs they claim? I just don’t see how they do it.

Cheers,

Ron

I suspect an extremely tight filter… almost RO, then add just enough so it doesn’t have any flavor! :sunglasses: Sneezles61

1 Like

By creating a wort that favors high alpha enzymes activity. This includes adding additional alpha enzymes and low mash temps to create a more fermentable wort. They would also skip any beta temp rests.

What ever became of using Beano to create a light/dry brew? Sneezles61

Beano is essentially alpha amylase.

1 Like

Here a page I found listing low carb beers. I haven’t heard of many of them, but will trying some as I try lose some weight (blood pressure). 250 Lowest Carb Beers | Low Carbe Diem

Also, am interested in more info of Beano. How is it using in the brewing process, amounts, what does it do, a million more questions. I prefer dry, crisp beer. Thanks for all the great info but you guys have waaay too much time on your hands :slight_smile:

1 Like

It breaks down carbs into simple sugars that are consumed more readily by the yeast. If you do all-grain you can add it to the mash and mash out to denature the enzymes. If you add it to wort there’s no stopping it. This can lead to a very thin, watery beer.

I used to try Beano to finish out stuck fermentations. Can’t say it worked all that well. Hard to tell if it helped or the beer just finished.

Carbs and weight wise, both my wife and I have lost about 35lbs each. Crazy new fad diet called eat less and exercise. Cutting out some of the red meat but not to the I’m giving up point. Sensible breakfast, mostly oatmeal and fruit with juice and black coffee. Rarely lunch then chicken or some white meat entree for dinner. We walk the dogs often. Good for them and us. Weekends we tend to enjoy food more but try to not get too carried away.

I really haven’t cut back on beer much. Just traded some of the calories. A doctor told me I would lose weight in a snap if I cut out the beer. Not happening any time soon was my reply.

Whoever comes up with a pill that lets you eat and drink what you want without weight gain will rule the earth.

6 Likes

I’m channelling Uncdeo here- if he were on this thread, he would say: “Just drink german beer, no carbs. they don’t allow it. Only grain, water, hops, and yeast.” Haha. Love his wit!

Cheers,

Ron

I do enjoy a good wit

1 Like

I like meat wit brews too!:slight_smile: Sneezles61