Campden Tablets Question?

Hello do Campden Tablets ever go out of date?? I found a bag of Campden Tablets that I think are about 2years old can I still use them to treat my brewing water?

I would guess that they are still fine. WWI technology

I’m interested in this question, too. On average I brew about 12-16 times a year, and when I bought my first bottle of campden tabs in 2014, it was a bottle of 110…so. Using a quarter tab in both mash and sparge water, I’ll still have campden tabs in say…2027 to 2032!

Also when I use a liter or more of tap water for my starters I’ll very unscientifically “shave” a bit off of a Campden tab into the water prior to heating. I have no idea if this is helpful, or even detrimental. :neutral_face:

I seem to remember @mabrungard or @denny mentioning something about them losing effectiveness over time, but maybe I’m thinking of something else?

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of. You may be thinking of CaCl2, which does.

1 Like

Yep, that’s what it was. My bad. Thanks, Denny!

I say that in a compressed tablet… which seems some what glossy… that tablet is preserved… short of bad storage. Sneezles61

Campden lasts forever as far as I know. I’m still using mine from >10 years ago.

3 Likes

I was just thinking my bag has got to be 6-7 years old at this point, and I haven’t noticed anything off.

No idea how old mine are. The label is all faded. I guess they still work.