California Common yeast in Oktoberfest?

I have yet to find the time to brew my (m)Oktoberfest that I was planning to ferment with US-05 at the coldest temperature I can achieve. I was reading about California Common lager yeasts that state it will give a clean lager taste at a fermentation temperature in the 60’s without actually having to lager. Has anyone tried fermenting an Oktoberfest with one of these lager strains?

1 Like

Not an Oktoberfest but I did just make a sticke altbier (very similar) with WLP810 at about 60 F that turned out quite good. I’m going to pop one this evening to see if the grassiness of my homegrown hops is faded yet – that’s my own fault – otherwise it turned out fantastic, with clean malty lager-like flavors.

EDIT: It’s better than I thought. No grassiness, only spice. It was dry hopped with MAGNUM, and turned out beautifully!

1 Like

I did a German Pilsner Wannabe last June using WY2112 California Lager yeast at 60*. I wasn’t expecting much, but it turned out surprisingly to-form. Members of my brewclub were astounded when I told them how it was done.

1 Like

I brewed my usual Ofest and fermented 5 gals with WY1007 german ale yeast in low 60s. After a couple weeks in the keg most couldn’t tell a difference between it and the regular lager yeast Ofest.

2 Likes

Wyeast 1007 is a really awesome yeast. I need to use it a lot more. But for now I’m having fun with WLP810.

Craft beer and brew had an article on American lagers, the author used ale yeast, claims it turns out well… hhhhmmmm, I’ve some pilsner malt and munich and 001 to toy with… Sneezles61

1 Like