Calibrating your thermometers and hydrometer

So this past W/E I took the time to verify what my instruments are showing me… I want to say, all those whom are trying to hone in on your hobby should spend some time and verify that you are indeed getting as accurate readings as possible… Thank you to Damian! I checked my refractometer with 60* distilled water… zero! I use 3 hydrometers to verify finished readings… One was right on also, the finishing hydrometer was reading one point too low, the other standard hydrometer was reading two points too high… Is it significant? Possibly not, but it was an eye opening time. I did check my water temp with a thermopen, they claim to be very accurate, so with that, I will use my conclusions as to the accuracy of my gear… Temps, well, utilizing and RTD probe and a PID for the read out, I won’t even try… Yet, since I sit a 1600’ above sea level, boil begins at 209… I’m good with my stuff! Sneezles61

I just like to thank everyone for taking the time to read this post on calibrating your Thermometer and Hydrometer as this new year rolls in and many new brewers will be coming and learning about brewing that this post continues to help new and experienced brewers Thank you !!!

1 Like