Calculating ABV...

Happy 4th of July to all. I was wondering when using such programs like QBrew and Brewsmith, should you list your bottling sugars as part of the recipe when calculating the ABV in those programs?

I don’t bother. FWIW, 5 oz. of sugar (typical amount for priming) will add .39% ABV to a 5 gal. batch.

Thanks Denny. Last Saturday,I brewed NB’s Double IPA with a OG of 1.085, and I have their Black IPA maturing in bottles that should be ready by the end of this month. Both were brewed with extract.

Sounds like you are really loading up on the high hopped boozy beers! That should make for a happy and drunken brewer!

I think the main reason you wouldn’t want to list the bottling sugar in the recipe is that it would throw off your gravity targets slightly.

With a beer that’s OG 1085, .3-.4% is definitely not worth worrying about. With a session beer, it becomes more relevant, but I still would not add it to the recipe. Sounds like a good feature request for Beersmith–add the bottling sugar to the final ABV/ABW calculation.

Is there a suggested resource for information such as this? I never thought that priming would add that much of an increase in ABV.

Is there a suggested resource for information such as this? I never thought that priming would add that much of an increase in ABV.[/quote]

Less than that if you’re mixing with water first.

Is there a suggested resource for information such as this? I never thought that priming would add that much of an increase in ABV.[/quote]

I used Promash to calculate it, but here’s tehe method. One lb. of sugar has about 45 gravity points. 5 oz. is .31 lb., so you get about 14 gravity points. Sugar ferments out comletely, so using the formula (OG-FG)*.132= ABV gets you 1.8% ABV, showing that I dickchimped the original calc! I thought it seemed high…

I used Promash to calculate it, but here’s tehe method. One lb. of sugar has about 45 gravity points. 5 oz. is .31 lb., so you get about 14 gravity points. Sugar ferments out comletely, so using the formula (OG-FG)*.132= ABV gets you 1.8% ABV, showing that I dickchimped the original calc! I thought it seemed high…[/quote]

Interesting. I had plugged 4 oz into an empty recipe and Beersmith returned .3% ABV. Your original number was consistent with that.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]

I used Promash to calculate it, but here’s tehe method. One lb. of sugar has about 45 gravity points. 5 oz. is .31 lb., so you get about 14 gravity points. Sugar ferments out comletely, so using the formula (OG-FG)*.132= ABV gets you 1.8% ABV, showing that I dickchimped the original calc! I thought it seemed high…[/quote]

Interesting. I had plugged 4 oz into an empty recipe and Beersmith returned .3% ABV. Your original number was consistent with that.[/quote]

I forgot to divide by 5 for 5 gal. That makes it about .37 %.