Burton Ale

That’s what is interesting about this Burton water. With the high sulfate you would think it would accentuate the hops which I believe is the point. The beer recipe calls to bitter 60-70ibu and dry hop. I’m thinking malty English black IPA. I’m going to need to find some samples. I’m thinking to use this water in my Bass clone as well as a British IPA

The style is balanced with a malt presence so I would shoot for a balanced sulfate:chloride water. It’s kinda like a less ABV barleywine.

http://www.beersmith.com/Water/water.htm

1 Like

That’s what I’ll do for my ESB. But the Burton is unique because of the water. Ive made barley wine and old ales before and was never impressed. Never treated my water which is pretty soft

I should clarify. I wasn’t treating my water when making aforementioned ales. Half this beer will go into bottles to be bottle conditioned the other half will be racked into the monkey house to age.

“Racked into the monkey house”… I’m curious… :roll_eyes: :mask:.
Sneezles61

“Racked into the monkey house”… I’m curious… :roll_eyes: :mask:.
Sneezles61

The Zoo. My solara keg with Bret and God knows what else.

2 Likes

Kinda what I was thinking… BUT… nice… I have 2 Hoff-Stephens kegs… Now with WAY too much time on me hands… another adventure?
I’d like to hear from the professor… He’s professed about the Solera ever since I came on board… well, even way before then too…
I’ll need to boil the “snot” out of one of them…
Sneezles61

Are you thinking about a solera in a Hoff Stephens? I’ve only heard of them in barrels.
I have a couple of 1/2 barrel and a 1/4 barrel H/S that would work great for that. I was planning on using the 1/4 bbl for a cask ale. Snot free

A traditional solara would be done in a series of wooden barrels and the wiskey or beer would be transferred down to top up the “bottom” barrels making up for evaporation(Angels share). Then fresh wiskey /beer would be added to the "top"barrel. I started mine in a 5 gallon wood barrel and moved it to a sanke as I pulled off ale to blend. Now what I do is just leave a little beer or dreggs and racks new beer on top to age. The dreggs stay in the keg.

That’s where is was going… I’ve got 2…
Put a 2" blank, half gasket and triclover clamp on where the guts used to go… Then get the wooden plug for the side… Drill some holes for adding and venting??? Just thinking out loud here… I was thinking laying it on its side so you could rock it in its cradle…
Would that work brew cat?
Sneezles61

That’s how I did my wood barrel. Knock out the bung and replace it with a rubber stopper drilled for an air lock.

1 Like

My sanke I have a sanke tap that I disabled the back flow so I can push beer in and out of with CO2. You should be able to do that through the bung with low pressure

1 Like

There’s another piece of the puzzle to ponder… I tossed the guts a long time ago…
I do have a few SS tubing from some old pin-lock kegs I’ll figure out how to employ… I’ll have to grab a few brews and look at the H/S kegs and dream up a plan… I have figure out how to clean them good too…
This is really going to take alot brews to figure it out! :beers::mask:
Sneezles61

By the guts you mean the spear? You need to seal the end hole some how.

That’s where the tri clover and cap and half gasket comes in to play…
Sneezles61

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746LNVBD?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

1 Like

I was out on the 4 wheeler and ran into the knight down the road. His name is Christian I don’t think he’s a Templar because he’s married. Anyway he hasn’t had the mead yet, said he’s saving. He said “we really like ale”. So I told him about the Burton Ale. He liked that and said as soon as this quarantine stuff is done he wants to show me his collection of antique medieval armaments. I think I’m in. I was worried they had someone doing their fermented refreshments already

6 Likes

1st taste is promising. Awesome aroma. Still a bit green but I think it has potential. It’s water profile has accentuated the bitterness as expected. I can see why this is the for runner of the IPA. I kegged 3 gallons and bottled with priming sugar the rest. 8.5% but no alcohol taste yet anyway

2 Likes