burners

how many burners should i have if i want to do it all outside is one ok or do i need 2

I think most people get by just fine with one burner, myself included. You have to be organized.

so one burner will be fine if i decide to all grain

Decide to “all grain” what? :?:

if i decide to do all grain will one burner be fine to heat my water and to boil with

Yes, one burner will do. In most cases you’re only heating one thing at a time: strike water, then sparge water, then wort boil, etc. It helps to have an insulated cooler/HLT to hold your heated sparge water, that way you can sparge directly into your BK. But I used to do my whole AG brewday with one cooler, one bucket, and one kettle. Cooler was the mash tun, sparge water stayed in the BK and I would sparge into the bucket until the BK was empty, then transfer wort into BK and finish sparging. At the end of the boil, wort went back into the (now sanitized) bucket for fermentation. Works great, but like 560sdl says you need to be organized. If you ever go bigger than 10 gallons it’s probably worth it to have a 2nd burner for a dedicated HLT.

sorry new to all the trems what is hlt

i made a 5 gallon mash tun from a igloo water cooler and i prolly want go more than 10 gallons

Hot Liquor/Liquid Tank. 8)

I have two pots, so that helps.

Heat 5-6 gallons of water for strike water
Add to grain and mash
with 15 to 20 minutes left in mash, I heat my sparge water in the original pot
Drain first runnings into measuring bucket and when sparge water reaches temp, I remove that pot and put the first half on the burner with heat down
Batch spare, let it sit 5 minutes just because
drain second runnings and add to boil pot, bring to boil and off to the races.

ok i will try that i going to try extract first and see how that turns out and if it is good i going to try all grain

I switched to all grain after my third extract kit. How many burners to use? I think it depends on budget. I wish I knew about this forum before I went and spent what I did on all grain equipment. I may have done some things different. But anyway I use two burners and two kettles. I mash in one kettle sitting on a Bayou classic Kab6 propane burner, then use another kettle for sparge water sitting on a Bayou classic SQ4 propane burner. I collect the runnings into two seven gallon plastic buckets. I heat my sparge water while the mashing process is going on. when ready for the sparge the water is at the right temperature. My friend uses three burners and three kettles. As he is sparging, he is pumping the wort into the third kettle, before the sparge it complete he is already heating the third kettle for the boil. He has a nice system that saves time. You can start out simple then grow if you wish.

Before you get started, I highly recommend reading sections 1 and 2 of How to Brew
http://www.amazon.com/How-Brew-Everything-Right-First/dp/0937381888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365766033&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+brew
. Then while your first extract batch is fermenting, read the all grain section. This book provides a great overview of the process and key principles used in brewing.

To answer your original question, I agree with the others that only one burner is needed even for all-grain brewing.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]Before you get started, I highly recommend reading sections 1 and 2 of How to Brew
http://www.amazon.com/How-Brew-Everything-Right-First/dp/0937381888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365766033&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+brew
. Then while your first extract batch is fermenting, read the all grain section. This book provides a great overview of the process and key principles used in brewing.

To answer your original question, I agree with the others that only one burner is needed even for all-grain brewing.[/quote]

Or if you’re cheap like me, the first edition is available free online
http://www.howtobrew.com/

One burner certainly will work, I did it when I started all grain. I eventually move to two burners because it made things easier and faster.