Buon vino mini jet

I just used this for the first time. It seems like I will be getting a bottle or two less out of the batch now as there is less wine in carboy because a lot of sediment left in first carboy. Is this to be expected when filtering? Thank you!
Frank

OK, guess I’m answering my own question here for anyone else wanting to know. I got 27.5 bottles out of carboy after being put through the filter. I must say they do sparkle, however a little disappointed in volume.

So my next question looking for an answer is this: is it ok to top off with water or similar wine at this point? This is after it has been stabilized and cleared, then put through filter?? Can I bring volume up at this point??

Frank,

You don’t state what you’re making the wine out of, but if it’s a kit, racking from the primary to the secondary shouldn’t leave more than 750 ml of liquid behind. Essentially, anything that will go up the tube should be transferred over.

This seems counter-intuitive because you want to get clear wine, right? But the finings will take care of clearing in the secondary.

Next, at filtering, you should have a pretty compact sediment bed, with perhaps another 750 ml of volume inaccessible–if it’s more than that it might be helpful to analyse how your fining process is working.

With those two things out of the way, the eventual yield of a 6 US gallon (23 litre) starting volume wine kit is almost always between 28 and 28.5 bottles to account for racking and filtering losses. If you top up with water, you’ll get dilution of flavours and alcohol content–almost certainly something you don’t want!

I love filtering, and actually own five Mini Jet filters (long story) as well as a Super Jet and an industrial plate and frame job. Wine that sparkles like diamonds is really worth the bit of extra work for me.

Hope this helps out.

Tim

Thanks for you response Tim. Yes, I am making from kit. this is our third season of wine making, always making 8 kits during the winter months when the basement is warmer from the furnace running. This is the first time filtering so I was not sure if this was the way it is going to be. Obviously, I didn’t pull up enough at some point as we always do get the 28-30 bottles!! …again , thanks!!

My pleasure! Happy winemaking!

I add a bit of sugar and water to get 24 liters. I figure it will make up for losses later and I can bump up the alcohol depending on what I’m making. I have a Mini Jet and discovered the best way is;

1. soak the pads in metabisulfite solution to sterilize.

2. I fill a 3 gallon jug with water and add a little citric acid or lemon juice

3. Run the water through the filter.

4. around the gallon mark I start tasting the water coming out of the filter. When it tastes good I stop.

5. I open the filter and dab the pads on clean paper towel to soak up and eliminate excess water in the pads. I try not to touch the pads as much as possible to avoid contamination. Mostly use the paper towel to dab and press them dry as possible.

6. reinstall filters.

7. get a similar wine to prime the filter. Last time I used a crappy Melbec. Tasted what was left in the Melbec bottle and discovered aging has made it good wine. lol

8. filter away. I try and do two or sometimes three batches of wine at the same time to save on filters. Although you’ll get a bottle or two of a blend as you switch. :slight_smile: Just more fun.

1 Like