Building a Kegerator Advice

Hello Guys

So I am really new to home brewing and have only ever brewed 1 Gal on the stove top using a 1 gal Demi John for fermentation.

Apologies if my questions are rudimentary :slight_smile:

I have bought some new equipment recently a GRAINFATHER and an SS Brewtech conical fermenter

I am looking to build a Kegerator and I have an existing counter I want to fit the fridge under.

However what Iā€™m trying to fathom out is does my tap tower need to be attached to the top of the fridge or can I run the lines from a hole in the top of the fridge to the underside of the counter top and into taps that are fixed to the counter top ?

If I do this how do I stop the fridge becoming inefficient how do I run the lines to the underside of the counter top and ensure the hole on top of the fridge is ā€œsealedā€

Hop this makes sense

Thanks

Welcome to NB forum!
Well, thatā€™s very tricky indeedā€¦ It can be as simple as just like you stated ā€¦ hole through the top (premade?, if notā€¦ refrigeration lines to be concerned about) then through the counter topā€¦ You can carefully seal up the hole in the kegerator with foam or pipe insulationā€¦ But then there is line left from there to the tapper not chilledā€¦ Un-wanted bugs will grow there and you may not like the flavorā€¦
Tell us whatā€™s your kegeratorā€¦ Made for that or are you going to make it be oneā€¦?
Sneezles61

Hi there thanks for the response

So I am planning on making the kegerator and the distance from the top of the fridge to the bottom of the tap tower/underside of the counter top would be no more than literally about 5 cms to 10 cms

What do you reckon ?

That short of run should be no problem. Pipe insulation and silicone. I actually just duct taped mine because itā€™s easier to change lines when that time comes. Welcome

1 Like

Iā€™ve made a keggerator for my buddyā€™s bar out of a fridge just as you described. I used a piece of PVC and insulated it for the run from the hole in the fridge to the counter top. The tower sat on the countertop. If you want to get super fancy run your lines from the top of the tower through 1/2ā€ copper pipe that enters into your kegerator a bit. The copper pipe is super conductive and carries the cold all the way up your tap lines through the tower.
Edited: WELCOME TO THE FORUM. This a great place where people donā€™t troll around.

See? There are quite a few great Brewers hereā€¦
Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks guys - greatly appreciated :grin:

Thank you - all makes sense

I wouldnā€™t hurt if you could somehow push the cold air up into the tower. A PC fan maybe. A commercial kegorator I had came with a fan and flex tubing to cool the tower. Have fun with your new project.

One thing to consider is space whether you buy or build. I made mine using a chest freezer. It is a four tapper and unfortunately, I have just enough room for three 5 gallon ball locks and a 2.5-gallon ball lock on the hump. I hate not having space for a new keg to sit and condition while Iā€™m still working on the older kegs.
_____________________________________________________________________ā€“
See: šŸ„‡8 Best Under Counter Kegerators in 2022 怐Easy Fit怑