Brewing with Douglas Fir

Call me crazy, but I have a real urge to try brewing a beer using my family’s Christmas tree (a Douglas Fir) once the holiday is over. A local craft brewery in my area (Zeroday Brewing Co) brewed a Douglas Fir Saison a few years back. Have any of you ever tried brewing with your Christmas tree? What styles do you think would go well? I’m not an IPA fan, so I was thinking a lager, but maybe I’ll see if I can recreate something similar to Zeroday’s saison…

CRAZY!.. Our local brewery does a simple blonde, but uses the tips when they are in the growth phase…
So why not pick a simple brew, cut the tips off your tree and add to the tail end of the boil? how much? I haven’t an idea… So maybe a quart’s worth…? See what happens…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Spruce beer used to be a thing and I’ve also had pine beer. Neither one impressed me enough to want to brew one

1 Like

I’ve used white pine for a resinous taste. The deer live to eat it so I figured it was safe enough. I never got the ratio right though.

I just used Frasier fir branches in my last batch. I didn’t use near enough, can’t taste any piney flavors at all whatsoever. It must need a lot. Same with juniper berries, apparently they aren’t nearly as powerful as I would have guessed, should have used several ounces maybe. They seem to add sugar as well.

1 Like