Brewing with Arrowhead Spring Water - Mash PH

I’m going to be doing my first all grain mash tomorrow (peace coffee stout) and I don’t have a way (yet… I asked Santa for a PH set) to test the PH of the mash and wondered how bad it will turn out. I read somewhere that I could use bottled spring water for the minerals and it would be OK for a stout but wondering if my mash will workout and I’ll get enough sugar out of the grains?

Spring water will be fine. I’ve been all grain brewing for 3 years and only measured my PH once. I’d focus on getting the process down and then start playing with water later. What is your tap water situation?

1 Like

You can try using the old fashion PH test strips. Walmart sells them. Not as accurate as a meter but ballpark.

1 Like

If your using bottled spring water I wouldn’t worry about PH for that matter I wouldn’t worry for any water unless you are having a problem. Adjusting PH isn’t going to miraculously make better beer. One thing you can do is mix in some distilled for light brews

1 Like

You are brewing a very dark brew… It will lower the pH all by itself… The light colored brews will require adjustment… If you are good/competent with the brew routine… then water correction is an in depth process… Get the water book… read it… the first time through, my eyes glazed over, I fell asleep many times… then you can start picking out bits… like water make up, Positive… negative…
Sneezles61

3 Likes

One thing to have on hand is some DME. Check your OG after your boil to see if your close. What I used to do is start chilling and grab a sample at 180° test and adjust for temperature. If it’s way off add the DME the wort is plenty hot to quickly dissolve and kill anything.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone. Your comments helped and I had a really good brew day for a first time all-grain. I hit my OG and that was really cool. Now to wait and see if it tastes good. I’ve watched so many videos over the last 9 months since starting home brewing that some things felt familiar LOL.

2 Likes

This was reassuring and help to just focus on the steps. My tap water has chlorine in it so I’ve just been using bottled water. I made an amber ale using filtered water from the fridge and I got a metallic after taste so either I have a crappy filter or I steeped the grains at too high a temp.

1 Like

Does it have chlorine or chloramines?

I haven’t tested, but my guess is there is. It has a hint of Chlorine smell. I would need to take a sample in to get tested.

Would your local Municipality have some type of water report?
Even a campden tablet to your water before you start brewing will “off gas” the chlorine/chloramine… Crush one… stir it in vigorously Should be go to go after 5 minutes.
Sneezles61

I’ve heard just collecting your water the night before and leaving it uncovered the chlorine will off gas.

1 Like

I do have some camden tablets that i bought but didn’t know how to use. LOL. But it would save me $5 + gas by not having to get water from the store for every brew.

Crush half a tablet to 5 gallons. I’d do it the night before anyway and let it sit uncovered. Chlorine wants to be a gas so it wants to come out of the liquid anyway so maybe give it a stir here and there. I don’t have experience personally but just telling you what others have said.

1 Like

You are right Brew Cat…
So Mr. Belz, give it a try and tell us whats the out come…
Arrowhead water… Where about are you? Water from the “arrowhead” area of Mn…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Arrowhead is a brand of bottled water. We have that and Crystal Geyser on the west coast. I also buy Walmart bottled water. Walmart is only 80 cents per gal. I’ll try the tablet and let you know how it goes. I’ve got an IPA and Coffee Stout to finish and then on to the next brew. Love this hobby. Haven’t bought beer since last March. The NB kits have all turned out great!

1 Like