Brewing software recommendations

So, I purchased iBrewmaster version 1 very soon after I started brewing, as it was tied in with the recipe kits on Northern Brewer and was in one of the early videos that northern brewer did. I upgraded to version 2 several years ago and have been using it since. I just upgraded to an iPhone 8 from my old 7 and I can’t install or update the app to my new phone because it’s no longer in the app store. Hopefully, I can still open it on my old phone because that’s at least 4 years of notes and recipes that I could potentially stand to lose. :fearful: I’m seriously in panic mode to lose all records from all brewdays for past 4-5 years because I do it all on my phone. It’s at work atm, so I’ll confirm that Monday. I am just curious what software if any other people use to keep track of their brewdays and recipes. Any recommendations for where to go from here?

:beers:
Rad

Me no idea one thing i hate computors. If i have a issue i ask my grandson haha. Me do use samsung. Got a new phone at x mas. Did use a phone tranfer file program. Did tranfer everything easy to the new phone. Maybe apple has this as well. Me still use pen paper calculator. To create recipy. And ones ready use my brewsmith. Or brewers friend. To check or change the recipy. Due to crash. Or globel power outage. Got all my recipy. In my brewlog

1 Like

I use Beersmith but I also write of my recipes in a book because I do not trust computers as long term storage.

Your app should still work on wifi. My wife has a couple iPhones and uses one on wifi it just becomes a tablet. Don’t know what it is with Apple they push their own apps I guess. I have an Android and my apps just keep working

Oh yeah I use Brewers friend and write down my recipes. I’m always waiting for the world wide Internet crash. You know it’s coming right?

2 Likes

What @brew_cat said…

1 Like

Necro’ing this thread, thankfully my old phone does still run ibrewmaster2, however it won’t load ibrewmaster (which was all extract recipes and notes so not that big of a deal now that I’m all grain). Curious, has anyone tried Beersmith? I’m thinking about options to start fresh in 2020.

Rad

Same here. Put my recipy into the brewing recipy book

My buddy uses Beersmith on his phone. He loves it. I prefer the desktop version, however.

When I use brewing software I still use old fashion Pro Mash. Most of the time I use a “brew log” template I made a long time ago, print one and take notes on it. After just stuff it in with the others.

I’ve used Beersmith for almost 7 years now. I’m very happy with it and I’m now on BS3 on a MacBook Air. I had BS2 on my phone as well but never used it.

I create my recipes in BS, run the timers on brew day to keep me on track, and input notes throughout the process. At this point I’d probably be lost without it.

My only complaint is with regard to the water calculator in the latest release BS3, which over estimates the amount of acid needed for pH correction in the mash. Lots of people have complained about it but Brad still stands by the acid model he uses. Only took one severely over acidified mash for me to go back to Brunwater. Brunwater works for me but it would have been nice to only have to rely on one program on brew day.

1 Like

Beersmith for me. Very happy with it.

Thanks for the replies, I’ll check it out.

Rad

Necro’ing this again because it finally happened. Forgot to uncheck automatic updates on my old beer phone and the newest version of IOS broke ibrewmaster2 for good, along with about ten years of notes and recipes. :scream: :sob: Guess I need to look for a new one.

Rad

1 Like

Uggghhhh. That sucks! I have recipes on beersmith 1, beersmith 2, and now beersmith 3. Need to find out a way to get them all in 1 place.

Ditto. I’ve been very happy with Brewer’s friend transitioning from Brunwater earlier. Both are good. I just like the ease of Brewer’s friend. And as many of you do I keep a paper version of recipes also.

I hand wrote 100 recipes… filled a book… got a new book… got lazy.

I would still be using ProMash if it worked on Win 10 and was still available. It looks like it is defunct and upgrades not available.

I made up a “Brew Journal” sheet to print so far back it might have been with Win 3.1 (yes I’m old) and have a box of them with notes. I dig through them to find a recipe if I want to re-do one.

So bottom line is… develop yer grainbill on a paper form and have the software do the math? So WHEN the software goes… south(?) you have a hard copy?
I was getting ready to give it a try… Now I’m afraid to put so much effort, and ultimately, angst into figuring this out… Oh Dear… :disappointed:
Sneezles61

Me not real smart with comp. But do use brewers friend or brewsmith. After i did create. A recipy with pen paper calculator. Using brew formulas. Use the software to check. If i am close to what i try to create.

1 Like