Brewing Doppel Bock

Interested in the final ABV and the tasting results before and after

Alright then, took a sample from one of two fermentors and my gravity was 1.012… Apperenty a bit too low for a doppel, and I did have the temp corrected down to 60 for my sample… I couldn’t tell if there was any warm from alcohol and it didn’t seem to malt forward either… Now a question, so I started at at 81, finished at 12, could I simply deduct the difference and just go by the ABV on my hydrometer? Yes I can do the math, but maybe I’m gittin lazier as I go! :smirk: Sneezles61

I don’t get what you mean by deducting the difference but your abv is about 9.1. That’s not too high for a doppel bock. It’s solidly in the accepted range.

I had my first real taste of mine today. Kegged it 2/5. Pretty darn good. Very malty, good foamy head does fall off but never completely dissipates. Light chocolate, caramel, dark bread, very faint fig(?), good clean smooth beer, little to no alcohol presence on the palate but mine only clocked in at 7.2. I’m happy with it.

edited to upload image

2 Likes

I just kegged, now to wait…… What I was referring to was, deduct the 12 from 81, then read what the ABV on the hydrometer shows…. And yes it correct with the ABV calc, showing 9%, close enough fer me!! Very nice looking brew in that glass! Sneezles61

Jealous of the kitchen.

Thanks. Still finishing up the cabinet renovation. One more light coat of poly, couple new hinges and I hope to be done.

Just pulled a sample last night…. Nice malt profile,very faint chocolate malt, a hint of spiceyness. I’ll need to let it age a bit longer. I’ll get a picture then to post. Sneezle61

Needed space for my maibock so bottled the rest of my second keg of doppel. Sad to see it go everyone enjoyed it. The good news is I got 18 bottles to revisit over the next few months. Going to repeat thus one for sure.

Thats a great idea, I need to get on with my cream ale tweak and would like to get the freez-menter free! I do have a back up tho for about 4 gallons of my doppel bock, I kegged for a friend I brew with and he will be gone until May! Sneezles61

What I have been doing is trying to bottle at least a 12 pack when the keg is almost empty and put some bottles on the shelf.

1 Like

I did get to try my doppel bock, again last night… Its very good. Wrong time of year to imbibe it though… Sneezles61.

2 Likes

Looks great! I plan to brew mine earlier in the season next year also, but I enjoy it in the evening. Not a yard work beer! I went a little strong with the chocolate malt(and not the pale chocolate either) so I was happy when the roasty notes rounded out/smoothed with time…it is turning into quite a good bock.

Mine is pretty tasty. Still a bit warm with alcohol but smoothing out. I bottled a bunch for a buddy and still have one keg lagering for fall/winter consumption.

1 Like

You lucky dog, I only have four bottles left of mine.

:frowning: Sneezles61

Not to worry I still have a keg of maibock…

1 Like

I’ve been on a summer beer brewing binge. I have 20 gals of pils, 10 vienna, 10 IPA and I’ll brew 10 gals more IPA tomorrow. Should get us through the summer.

I have 10 gals of Ofest lagering and 5 gals of porter for fall along with the above mentioned doppelbock and 5 gals of munich dunkel that’s already been lagering 5-6 months.

I need more kegs.

1 Like

My doppel was brewed in November and I still gots around 4 gallons left. Lagering at 31 F. Tasted of it today and it still is awesome if not at its peak. I wonder how long a 8.5% doppel will stay “fresh.” I bet, over a year.

I’ll bet at least 3 years, but not at my house! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:Sneezles61

Funny that I’m doing a doppelbock today also. I’ll be pulling 30# of
grain. I’ll let you know how that goes. If I get better than expected
efficiency I’ll make it a 13 gallon batch instead of 10.