Brewing Doppel Bock

I ended up with pretty equal runnings from mash and sparg. Forgot to get a gravity reading on either. Preboil was 1.062 13.25 gallons.

Did you take a FR gravity reading @brew_cat? Would be interesting to see where our differences were.

I

It feels like it’s binding a little even without a load on it. It’s a cheap ratchet pulley with nylon rope from Home Depot and I’ve left it hanging outside. I don’t think it could put a much bigger rope on it.

See I got pre boil of .062 and OG of .072 and I used 5# more grain. I got to get my efficiency up. I had no problem with 5gal biab.

No if you had 30# I used more.

I actually used 33# as stated later in this thread.

I was incorrect in my original estimate.

Interesting. One of us must be calculating our efficiency wrong. How do you calculate yours I just reverse design my recipe in brewers friend by putting in lower % numbers until it reflects the gravity reading.

Why do you think so?
Brewsmith calculates it for me.

We ended with the same BG and you used more grain. I didn’t use any cc malt. So I think are efficiency would be close mine calculated at around 69%

Mash efficiency or overall?

Mine:

Mash 73.9
Brewhouse 77.1

Only a few more pounds that you so doesn’t seem too far off…
Edit: I just went in to check temp. Thickest krausen I’ve ever seen on a lager and the room smells like farts so I guess the yeasties are happy campers!

Nice. Gonna be good

Brewing my traditional Bock this morning and about 3/4 done…house smells awesome! Chocolate Malt is a wonderful thing ! Too early for a beer still but not for metal!

I used Carafa II to darken the color-- It leaves “no” roasty flavor. Also, I didn’t mess with decoctions or step rests. Just single infusion at 153.

Tastes excellent against the finest German examples.

Yep, I also used the de husked Carafa II and the standard chocolate not the pale. Coming in around 29 SRM per the calculator.

Just pulled a pint :+1:

How is it? BTW, I told you bad info! I used Carafa I (dehusked). Not Carafa II. Carafa I is a bit lighter, and I just used 4 oz of it for color. My doppel turned out around 12 SRM (light end of color per style). Imma analyze it in about a week (that’ll have given it two months worth of lagering).

kegging mine today to start lagering.

@brew_cat what was your FG on that doppel bock? I just kegged one of my fermenters and it was 1.020 room temp just off the yeast so probably still a bit of gas in it.

Tastes good. Seems well attenuated for the style. BS2 estimated 1.019 FG.

Mine? My OG was 86 and ended at 23. 8.5 abv. Hopefully next time I can end a couple points lower - I think 20 is a good goal, to keep it from being syrupy. Actually mine tastes drier than a FG of 23 implies.

OG .072 FG .010 , the carbonated sample tastes good but I’m going to lager it for a coup,e weeks to get it to clear up, still a little cloudy

Mine finally tastes at what I believe is its “peak.” Smoothed out now, after a little over two months lagering time.

Kegged ours last weekend, after two months of lagering in the conical. Amazing that after all that time, so much of the yeast (3rd gen 34/70) had dropped, we racked from above the yeast, and I still got a first pour of chocolate milkshake. Hit it with some gelatin on Saturday and will probably pull another sample on Thursday of this week. Tastes really solid, even with a bunch of yeast in suspension.