Brewing and Football

2020… The year without events!!
I hope the home-(put any craft right here) is a big hit and remains for many years to come…
Sneezles61

What do you all think about the college football season?

Doesn’t look like there will be an NCAA division I football season to me. Who knows though. Lots of money involved and that can equate to a lapse in reason.

Elite athletes still have to train. There are reports of some athletes coming down with covid19 and not being able to recover their full lung capacity however.

Re the big ten, roller coaster ride so far. Yesterday it was clear they were going to cancel it, and they floated up the “balloon” and clearly there was some blowback. So now there may be some momentum for a season again… i’d like to see football for selfish reasons, this year sucks and I’m looking forward to some Fall pigskin. The players want to play the coaches want to coach. I get the whole exploitation amateurism dealbut I don’t really care.

Like the commercial says 99.5% of student athletes are going pro in something other than sports.

Compared to that fiasco in Sturgis, having the college teams compete in an empty stadium but with television coverage would be a walk in the park as far as Covid risk.

1 Like

I think the way I heard it, yesterday there was a vote by heads of the schools… “No we don’t want to do it”
Then, the big ugly money monster weighed in… Loosing some big cash!!
Then the potus “PLAY FOOTBALL,”
Now the back pedaling begins…
I’ll bet the latter two win…
Then you hear how this bug has left a lasting injuries to some who have contracted… Lungs, heart…
I really want football and now… I finally reached a point I could watch and not be bothered by what I have to prepare for tomorrow… I’m not so selfish that someone needs to have a life time of consequences for my desires…
There’s no winning until this bug is understood and a vaccine…
Sneezles61

Well it’s a little different than the NFL they can’t as easy isolate. What’s the feeling on Trevor Lawrence’s proposal for a union?

I belonged to carps Union for a long time… It used to be about the peeps doing the work… We weren’t over priced sissies…
Then, the business guys saw the pile of money involved… They swooped in and changed it… We are now top heavy with suits and ties making great money… This part I don’t like… They told us what we are getting or not getting…
So if they do want to unionize, I’d like to believe it’s in the interest of the players… but then there WILL be money… The greedy suits and ties (not every suit wearer is mind you) will get a sniff and it’ll change… but not for the student players… I’ll not say any more about unions…
Sneezles61

I’m not getting into the politics of unions ( pm me if you really want my opinion) but I’m thinking the way things are now with college football they probably need some representation. They should be able to opt out and not be penalized by loosing a season of eligibility.

1 Like

Colleges and all things tied to it are making some big money when sports are being played… If fact, our highest paid PUBLIC employee is a coach for the gophers… Imagine that… The student athlete should be protected and compensated…
Now what that looks like, well, doesn’t exist… yet.
Without the student, the college isn’t…
Sneezles61

I respect that view.
Big Ten college football junkie here, so FWIW…I think, again, the players aren’t being forced to play, they want to play. They’ve worked very hard to get to this point, are less likely to get covid in the “bubble” than they would at home/general Univ population, and they are more fit than the rest of us at baseline. The delayed cardiomyopathy and lung disease of covid has hit all covid victims at about 75% in one study to some degree!..it will hit them at home just as hard if classes and football were canceled but probably MORE frequently if loitering in their hometown or clubbing it for the next 5 months.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1292955482706128898

1 Like

Fun to have this discussion…
If we were very bitter or rooted in only one way to view… We would have to go to each other’s home and destroy it! Then stomp on yer computer… Then go after the IP provider… Oh dear… Digressing again… My apologies…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Welp…just got canceled, all fall sports for Big Ten. Is it 5 o’clock yet?

I’m not sure I understand it. I didn’t hear anything about a bubble for NCAA. If they are going to classes not sure they can avoid it. You say no big deal they are healthy but they would still not be able to play while they recover then two weeks isolation. They might be able to do it but I’m not sure. Watching MLB very closely. After some hiccups I see the players are getting more serious. They have to police themselves. If the model the rest of the country I see it ending the season

Ok Big 10 is a no. Probably more by the end of the day.

I’m hoping to the NFL plays . Planning my fantasy league anyways

1 Like

Five o clock or not… After a few (dozen) pints, if you squint through the bottom of the glass, it doesn’t look so bad… :dizzy_face:
Well, let’s see where the others go… Maybe our smaller local college’ will keep going… I haven’t heard from UMD…
Sneezles61

1 Like

NFL has a chance if they take it seriously. I’ve watched a few Reds games on MLB.com and it’s been just fine.
Doesn’t matter now, but to answer your question above, the players were taking online classes only and staying within the Woody Hayes athletic Center. It had a chance of working but the dong punch that is 2020 wins again.

I hear NFL is still a work in progress… College may fuddle up draft time…
That’s a crumb…
Sneezles61