Brewing a Oatmeal stout with distilled water?

Hello I my understanding an knowledge about water when it comes to brewing is very limited. So I am think of using distilled water to make it a little easier process for me. Here a 3.5gal BIAB Oatmeal Stout recipe: I just need help figuring out what salts an what amounts to add I don’t have a computer so I need someone help for this… but here the recipe: https://imgur.com/gallery/Wlz3UIY an one another thing I don’t have a pH meter or paper’s

You don’t need a computer if you have a smartphone. I find the Brewers friend calculator is fairly straightforward. If you have to buy distilled water just buy bottle spring water and don’t add anything. With the dark malt your pH will be fine. I feel its more important playing with water for a light beer. That said you can add a little calcium chloride to the spring water if you want to try and boost the maltiness maybe couple grams

2 Likes

Like what brewcat says. Use brewers friend. Water calculator. Straight forward this program. Me use it everytime. Reason. I did not pay so much attention on chemistry at school. Did drop it. Went to the civil engineering way. Me did buy the water book. From. Beer elements. Did learn. From this. Lots. But did find book boring to read. Took me forever to finish.

2 Likes

I’d agree with this as far as buying bottled water for a stout.

Not sure why you don’t want to use your tap water but if it’s “hard” water, higher pH and alkalinity, darker beers like stout are your best options. Those kind of beers historically come from places with harder water. As mentioned above the darker malts will buffer the hard water more.

1 Like