Brew Kettles

Just have a quick questions for you “old timers.” I can’t find a search feature on this forum so maybe this has been discussed and answered already, but I would like to know if an aluminum kettle will work for the boil.
Thanks for your help,
Old Wine Guy

1 Like

Kettle of worms there…

I’m in the “you’re fine” camp, as long as you keep an oxidation layer intact. When the kettle is new, boil some water, then let the inside get hazy. Never scrub it shiny. If you’re worried about aluminum leaching at all, stainless is safe, though.

1 Like

I did find the search feature for the forum and read a bunch of posts on aluminum pots. Doesn’t seem to be a problem as long as the oxidation layer is left intact.
Thanks people,
Old Wine Guy

1 Like

I use both but only do kettle sours in stainless

I have a 5 year old 7G kettle that came with my ‘turkey burner’ setup and a 1 year old 10G much better quality aluminum kettle that I bought from a restaurant supply store. Use both without any worries what so ever. Before I used them the 1st time I filled them with water and boiled to set up the layer of oxide. I clean with a soft cloth and water, occasionally oxyclean if needed, and do a final rinse with starsan, just before I throw out the starsan. Keeps them plenty clean. Note- the starsan rinse is not to sanitize, I know BKs don’t need that.

Careful with Star-San on aluminum. That will eat away any protective layer quite quickly. If left in long enough, it will begin to corrode and pit the aluminum.