Brew Files Podcast Episode 49 - Starting Off Right

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-49-starting-right

The Brew is Out There!

We know that we need good yeast to make great beer and we need to treat them right. Somehow we’ve managed to go through 48 episodes of this show without talking methods of treating your yeast right. On this show, we’ll walk through how we used to do things and why we changed and Denny will even challenge Drew to get uncomfortable!

2 Likes

Good episode. I might have missed it in the conversation but did you mention time with regards to your shaken not stirred starters. I’m currently doing around 24 hours before pitching on a stir plate.

1 Like

Maybe we weren’t clear enough…we basically said “at high krausen the next day”. In general, that;s 24 hours or less. The advantage to not using a stir plate is that the starter wort isn’t as badly oxidized, so you don’t have to decant.

4 Likes

In addition there’s a lot of evidence that the stir plate creates shear stress on the yeast that leads to off flavors. These off flavors are incorrectly diagnosed as off flavors from process, oxidation, etc.

1 Like

I think one of the biggest selling points is never using fermcap again. Granted it’s a small amount but drinking a drop or two of silicone with every batch adds to your overall chemical lifetime body load

1 Like

Did like this episode.

1 Like

Agreed, although I think that’s more theoretical than a real problem

Did like the. 007 method. They do talk about. Me still do the stirplate thing. Got enough time. Me awake at 3. So most the time do make a starter.

1 Like

Denny and Drew simplified the process… AND to me made it very clear… relax. Thank You Gentleman! Sneezles61

2 Likes

Will try tomorow the 007 method

2 Likes