Brew Efficiency Dropping

In the past I have had brew efficiencies of between 70 to 75% now all of my batches are down in the 50’s. Is the problem that I am not boiling hot enough? I have turned down the burner because I was possibly scorching my beer in the past.

I have 7 lbs of 2row
4 pounds of marris otter
1 lb of lactose
1 lb of crystal 20.

Est SG is 1.070
I came in at 1.060.

I don’t understand the question but mash efficiency doesn’t depend on how hard you boil. What could be affected is how much water you boil off which would affect your volume which would make a difference in your OG

You aren’t reaching a full rolling boil? Do you record your post mash gravity…? Usually, I’ll gain 10 points from my boil…
I get 1.067 from the grains… haven’t a clue what Lactose does for gravity…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Lactose will raise it but is unfermentable resulting in a higher FG.

2 Likes

Brewhouse efficiency is a complicated thing but certainly in its simplest sense extracting sugars from the grains is the point. Poor sparging or temperature issues may be the cause. Here is an overview of brewhouse efficiency.

Very accurate measurements go a long ways too… right in your brew notes…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Lactose isn’t going to convert.

Also, did you keep track of your mash temps? I had a few issues with mashing too high.

Check your calibrations- volumes, temps, etc. Check your crush. Another thing to look at is your water, has it changed?

I agree but it contributes to the gravity correct? It’s still sugar. I think the problem is in instrumentation.

1 Like

Same here. Get. About 8 to 10 points. During the boil. Think. A rolling boil. Does not do nothing. For efficiency. (Or am i wrong) its more the mashing. Water temp.

The boil contributes to the efficiency… But then if your 20 points low, and boil off enough water to get the 20 points back… volume suffers…
So tying all this together, you need good conversion/extraction in the MASH, and a good boil…
from there you find out your efficiency…
Remember, your recipe calls for XXX gallons/liters and a starting gravity of XXXX… Those ARE the targets.
Sneezles61