Brew day issue!

I am currently trying to brew a delicious Irish Stout and pulling out my fermentation bucket I noticed I am missing the seal the airlock fits into. I do have a carboy to put the wort in to ferment. Would this be acceptable for the primary fermentation process? I think it would be but figured I would ask people who have done this more.

I only use carboys. They are 6.5 gallons and up though. Will your carboy have sufficient head space? You can use your bucket with a Star San soaked paper towel over the hole for the air lock until you get a replacement grommet.

1 Like

It’s only the five gallon carboy.

A 5 gallon recipe in a 5 gallon carboy will require a blow off tube. You will lose a little beer but it will work. With a yeast like WY 3068 you’ll lose a lot of beer. WY 3068 has a very vigorous initial fermentation.

Go with the bucket. You can also tape sanitized plastic wrap over the hole for the airlock. Just poke a small hole in it for the CO2 to escape through. Most of the CO2 may escape the bucket around the rim anyway.

1 Like

The yeast at the top says Safale s-04 and we are also using Fermcap to reduce blowoff cause we had that issue last time in the bucket.

1 Like

Just my opinion here on the Fermcap-S. It does help reduce boilovers, but I haven’t really seen it reduce the amount of krauzen during primary fermentation. Anyone else experience similar results?

I would have used the bucket anyway. I would have just taped a piece of coffee filter paper over the hole (to keep ants/fruit flies out) then gone to Lowes, or searched Amazon for a replacement grommet.

2 Likes

Or sanitize some tape and put the airlock in an go have a beer.