Bottling questions.

So I’ve had a few questions rolling around in my head about bottling and thought I’d put them out here to the group to see what people think.

One thing I’ve used for beer and cider is Martinelli’s bottles (American Champagne) and used regular bottle caps. They work great. I was wondering if there is any reason to not bottle wine similarly? Is there an advantage to using a cork for wine than using a regular bottle cap? If not, then why not bottle wine in beer bottles as well?

That being said, is there a reason why certain wines are in certain types of bottles? Obviously for Champagne, they have the ridge at the top for the wire enclosure. I’m guessing dark bottles for reds because you tend to age a red longer than a white, so light will have less effect. But what about the shape of the bottle? Is it really just tradition to have wines in certain shaped bottles?

Just been curious is all.

In regards to using beer bottles and capping, there is not problem with it; merely a matter of taste. People are used to seeing a wine bottle and cork. If you are doing a really big red, you may get funny looks when you pop the bottle cap off to share it, but it is only a matter of habit and expectations.

As far as shape, I have no idea. I bottle in whatever I have handy, so I have a mixture of clear, green, blue, all different shapes. I label them so I know what ended up in each bottle; but again I think it is just a matter of preference. It always seems to pour and taste the same to me.

Certain bottles being chosen for certain styles is just a tradition. I would not cap anything that you plan on storing long term.

Your answers seem contradictory. Can you explain why you wouldn’t cap wines intended to be stored?

I was referring to a certain shape of wine bottle is more about tradition that science.

I really would not trust a seal on a cap for a wine that I would be storing for over 2 yrs. Even with O2 absorbing caps. Too much time and money invested. Not to mention, its kind of unappealing to “uncap” a well aged red or port.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I was referring to a certain shape of wine bottle is more about tradition that science.

I really would not trust a seal on a cap for a wine that I would be storing for over 2 yrs. Not to mention, its kind of unappealing to “uncap” a well aged red or port.[/quote]
this! I had thought about it myself. but it really doesn’t take anymore effort to bottle & cork. besides, a little bit of class goes a long way with wine.

[quote=“Edward Teach”][quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I was referring to a certain shape of wine bottle is more about tradition that science.

I really would not trust a seal on a cap for a wine that I would be storing for over 2 yrs. Not to mention, its kind of unappealing to “uncap” a well aged red or port.[/quote]
this! I had thought about it myself. but it really doesn’t take anymore effort to bottle & cork. besides, a little bit of class goes a long way with wine.[/quote]

+1 I don’t drink much wine, but a screw top, plastic wine bottle is kind of goofy. A six-pack of canned wine, 8)

Most wines will improve with age and should be stored with a cork closure. The cork will let a minute amount of oxygen into the wine over time which is part of the aging process. Also, corked wines should be stored laying down to keep the cork moist. A dried out cork will allow too much oxygen into the wine and it will oxidize and become flabby and tasteless.
Wines purchased with screw tops are meant to be consumed immediately as they aren’t expected to improve further with age.
Bottle color only matters if you store your wine in a light or dark area. Mostly you don’t want your wines exposed to the light.
OWG