Bottle sanitizing product

I’m going to be bottling my first batch of home brew this Sunday. From reading and watching videos I understand the importance of sanitizing. I have some sanitizer that came with my NB kit I can use. I also have some bar/restaurant food food grade sanitizing rinse.

The product is called Nu-Foam. Has anyone else used it? I’ll be getting some Star San for future batches as it seems to be very highly regarded. I just won’t have any of it on hand this Sunday. My gut says if bars and restaurants use it as a sanitary rinse it’s got to be okay but they aren’t bottling beer!

Cheers all!

I am not familiar with NuFoam. Do the instructions say it is no rinse or do you need to rinse after using the product?

You don’t rinse this stuff. It’s sold and used as a rinse. A bar might wash the glasses, rinse them in water, then rinse them in this stuff.

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/nu-foam-300005-100-tablet-bottle-nu-foam-sanitizing-tablets-with-rinse-aid-for-sanitizing-bar-glassware-dishes-pots-pans-and-utensils

Since it is a no-rinse sanitizer approved for use in the food service industry and is tasteless it appears to be fine to use in the brewery.

1 Like

Here is a link to the Nu-Foam SDS sheet which in this form is not compliant to EU standards. There might be a better one out there.

The active ingredient that they list is Dimethyl Benzyl 68424-85-1 50% Ammonium Chloride Dihydrate
The other active ingredients are proprietary which is always a warning sign in my book.

One of the main concerns with your bottle sanitizers will be residue and whether or not it can penetrate the biofilm created by some forms of yeast. NU-Foam makes the sales claim that it kills the AIDS virus which is the weakest of claims because normal air kills the AIDS virus.

Try it for this batch but buy yourself some Star San when you have the chance. I personally would trust the sanitation cycle on my dishwasher over this product.

1 Like

Here is some additional information on the active ingredient based on the much stricter EU language.

“Danger! According to the classification provided by companies to ECHA in CLP notifications this substance is toxic if swallowed, causes severe skin burns and eye damage, is very toxic to aquatic life, is toxic in contact with skin, is very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects and causes serious eye damage.”

So it appears that this is indeed a very strong biocide and is used in Switzerland to preserve wood.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I might just make a gallon of the NB sanitzer and make it work for this run. By the time my next batch is ready I’ll have some San Star. If I decide to try the Nu-Foam I’ll report back. Thanks all!

1 Like

I agree I would get some Star-San but this appears to be safe (this is cut and paste, the all caps are not intended to offend)::

SANITIZING SOLUTIONS PRODUCED WITH THESE TABLETS AT THE CONCENTRATION
LEVEL SPECIFIED BY LABEL DIRECTIONS ARE CONSIDERED TO BE NON HAZARDOUS TO
MAN OR THE ENVIRONMENT AND ARE IN COMPLIANCE WITH REGULATIONS OF THE EPA
AND FDA.

THIS PRODUCT IS INTENDED FOR USE IN COMMERCIAL AND
INSTITUTIONAL DISHWASHING OPERATIONS AND MAY BE DISPOSED OF WITH WASH
WATER INTO THE SANITARY SEWAGE SYSTEM. PRODUCT IS BIODEGRADABLE.

http://endgermsnow.com/Images/SANITIZING%20TABLETS.pdf

When in doubt go with EU standards. The active ingredient in this is labeled dangerous to aquatic life and is highly suspect because that means it does not have an acceptable half-life and is pernicious.
This product, when flushed down your drain and not contained, harms the environment. There’s no point risking your body.

We use it at work for sanitizing in the kitchen. It’s a good product. It kills everything. I think, one pill for 1.5 gals.

1 Like

When we need technical info, Squeegee is the man! I will follow/listen to Squeegee…
Sneezles61

3 Likes