Bottle Labels

So when you finish a batch and bottle, do any of you make labels for the bottles. I acquired 30 bottles to use once my first batch is finished. Removing the labels Was a real PAIN - soaked them in warm water / baking soda solution . Some of the labels came off right away (actually were floating int he water) but some left a lot of glue residue that made me have to do a lot of scraping. If I print out labels for my bottles I was wondering if any are available for an inket printer that peel off easily and do not leave glue residue

Most HomeBrew labels are remover friendly. I’ve used them a few times with wine bottles and they came off simply with a hot water soak. Double your pleasure with a hit PBW soak.

Try warm water and ammonia. Used to work well for me with beer bottle labels. The foil ones used by some of the mega breweries were the toughest.

Print on plain paper and use glue stick for your labels. Cheap, works great, and the labels just float off when you soak the bottles in water.

@captainron19, TSP (trisodium phosphate) and hot water and a soak overnight in a pail or laundry sink will take off 99% of the labels ever made. If you have more trouble, there’s a gadget that seems to work pretty well, if it’s a little fragile in use:
https://labelnator.com

Another option you might want to try for your labels is to use a company called crush tag (google it). They will print custom labels in small batches that are vinyl and reusable. As for removing labels from existing bottles I have never had much success with this so I always just order new bottles.

I bought a Labelnator and while it works better than a razor knife I found a better way. I get used wine bottles that have labels on the front and back. If you cry in the same room as the bottles the back labels will just fall off. :wink: Ok I soak then for a couple minutes and they fall off. The front label is something else. I tried everything except TSP (Trisodium phosphate). I’ll have to try that one. If you do try TSP look closely at the label. The government is so concerned for the environment (the govt really just wants to control everything we do) they are banning or are thinking about banning phosphates. The Phosphates are what makes your dishwasher and other detergents work so well. Much of the TSP sold now a days is just TSP “branded” as in a name and does not contain any Trisodium phosphate. :frowning: But once you get some you can add a little bit to your other detergents to improve there cleaning abilities back to where they were before govt decided what you should have. :smile:

What I found worked and was the easiest is to put the bottles in my oven set on 200 F for a few minutes. You can easily peal the labels off and use GOO GONE Citrus Degreaser to clean off the residue. then a soak in One Step or PBW and your ready to go. :slight_smile:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GOO-GONE-GGHS12-Citrus-Degreaser-12-oz./41245530

I like the citrus degreaser suggestion. Will have to try that.

However, the method I’ve used so far which is VERY effective is to use lighter fluid. Yeah, I know - not the nicest stuff. Just do in a well ventilated area and recommend to wear rubber gloves. First soak labels in warm water for half hour, peel off the paper, then squirt some lighter fluid on paper towel or a rag (or directly on glue/bottle). Glue wipes right off.

i also tried lighter fluid but the citrus stuff works even better, smells nicer and less toxic. So far heat, peel, citrus and wash is the least labor intesive way.

i really thought the citrus goo gone was going to suck but was suprised at how well it worked.

I’ve tried several methods of removing labels and have settled on scraping and Goo Gone for the one’s that don’t float off. And once I have the labels off I never apply a label to the bottle surface again.
I print labels on return address labels I purchase at Walmart. I use the Avery brand as they have a website to help design and save your label and you can print from there as well. Works great.
I apply this return address label to the shrink wrap capsule/hood as the bottle lays in the rack with its cork end facing me(it is upside down when the bottle is standing upright). This makes it easy to find the wine I want or just browse without a lot of fuss removing bottles from the rack.
The hood is easily removed and the label with it.
OWG

1 Like

I agree with you that removing the label is quite annoying. I always remove them by the following steps.
Soak the bottles in warm water and tear off the surface of the labels. Dry the bottles and apply nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol on the labels. Wait for a minutes and scrub with steel wool.