Bottle conditioning for wedding celebration

Hello all! New to group and new to brewing. Planning on doing a German Pilsner(Stella clone) for a wedding gift/week long vacation. Being new, 12/16 oz bottles are all i have right now. I purchased 6-64oz amber growlers to make it a little less crazy for packing and transporting. Also making up a nice label to commemorate the wedding!
So, THE question. Bottling conditioning in said growlers.
Sounds like the most risky part is the actual carbinating of the beer? Do the pressures go down once that is done? I plan on final CO2 of 2-2.5.
Thanks,
ToeKnee

Done is the key word. The pressure never goes down but it can go up. Bottle bombs suck. I would make sure they all get drunk at the wedding if you’re new to bottling. It’s the hard part of brewing IMO

Growlers are not generally speaking made to withstand the pressure of carbonation. I’ve heard of guys doing it but can’t say it’s recommended. The pressure will not go down. That’s kind of the point of carbonationg the beer. The vessel has to be able to withstand and contain the pressure or the beer will lose the carbonation.

Pilsner is not the easiest style to brew and can be challenging for a new brewer. Becuase it’s a single specific grain with light hopping any flaws or mistakes in process will standout. Do you have the ability to ferment at low 50F and then lager it?

Also in order to replicate the flavor of stella you’ll need to put the beer in light colored bottles and leave it in a lighter area so it gets that funky skinked flavor. JK…sorta…

2 Likes

I didn’t realize it was a German style pilsner it says Belgian ale on the bottle which never made sense to me since it didn’t taste like a Belgian ale

Stella says it’s a “belgian pilsner” I think…

I didn’t think so either the recipe I found uses German Pilsner and Saaz.

If there is no difference in pressure in carbing and carbed beer, then what causes bottle bombs during conditioning vs conditioned beer?
I do have the ability to both ferment at low 50 and lager. I understand it’s a challenge, I’m looking foward to it. I agree on the flavor since not my #1 choice of beer, lol.

2 Likes

Overcarbing :grinning:

It’s just my idea that the CO2 pressure builds to excess in the head space as the yeast consume the priming sugar and then over time the CO2 is gradually distributed throughout the full volume of the growler reducing the head space pressure.

That is why my plan is to keep it at around 2.2. I’ll check sg to make damn sure done before moving to the bottle

Understand pressure building during carb. Once the CO2 is absorbed by liquid, shouldn’t the pressure decrease to what you have primed for? Example: I’m priming for a final CO2 of 2.2 usning a online priming calculator. Once the pressure of pushing the CO2 into the beer( I understand higher than finished CO2) is over, I’m left with a beer carbed to 2.2.
If a growler can take a beer carbed at this from the keg, it only makes sense to me that once carbed, the growler should be ok with my brew kn it. I’m not 100% so that is why I’ve started this post.
Love the answers already, thanks a lot guys!

The brew will absorb the CO2… More readily cold than warm… Some of the peeps here will bottle a plastic soda bottle along with the glass bottles… Once you get to a point its carbed, squeezing the bottle is tough… Then you know you should refrigerate the brew before dwinking… I’d be very cautious carbing in a growler… IF something goes wrong… Glass becomes shrapnel… Be sure everyone wears a flack jacket and a full face helmet… Gloves too!
Welcome to the NB forum and the world of home brewing! Sneezles61

So if after carbination is done, you refrigerate the beer. If you alow the beer to warm back up it could blow? Sorry for all the questions, just collecting as much knowledge as possible.

The main thing is that growlers lids are not designed to lock properly. The people I know who try using growlers eventually give up but almost all of them wrap their lids on with electrical tape.

I don’t mind not being able to re-use. This is really just a one time thing to get beer to the wedding.

Making a lager is not that big of a challenge really as long as you have a way to keep fermentation temps in the range. The hard part is getting it really nice and clear which takes time and your not going to get if you bottle condition. Actually you can do it but you will have to decant your pours which probably ain’t happening at a wedding maybe. Also you need to let them lager or age. A pilsner malt mash can be tricky if your doing all grain. Don’t know what your time line is or if your doing all grain or not. I would recommend a beer that you have made before. If they are Stella drinkers at this time with so many options available nowadays just bring them Stella and make a beer you enjoy and maybe a few converts. Just my opinion for what it’s worth. I’ve brewed for alot of events and there are some people who just want to drink commercial. It’s usually more lively at the home brew table though.

2 Likes

As a bottler, personally I think I will borrow or rent a keg the next time I want to provide for an event. Which would mean I would then have to keg condition or set up a spunding valve.

@ToeKnee I did bombers for my last event and 2 cases of those (keep the box they come in) are easier to transport than 6 growlers IMO

Alot less beer is wasted using a keg for sure. Alot of half full bottles get left for the dance floor. It just happens and it should. It’s a tough venue for fine bottled home brew. That’s why you don’t generally see fine wine poured at weddings at least at the guest table unless the guest requests it

It’s really more of a vacation party with a short wedding attached. They rented a huge house in MI that we are all just staying the week at. Guess I should of made that a little more clear. Hell, I’m officiating the wedding, got ordained on my cell phone. This couple set me and my wife up, got divorced, now are getting remairred!
I’m greatful for all the input, without any crap being blown my way!
Bombers would be an option, if I wasn’t on a budget and already had 6 new growlers. I’ve been searching for a used keg setup locally as I know this is the best option.

I have used a growler to condition my beer with no problems. That said, I also don’t suggest it either. Another option might be to use unflavored plastic seltzer bottles. They are made to withstand carbonation, will not give any taste to your beer as long as you stick with old fashion plain seltzer and even if you don’t drink it a 2 liter is a buck or less.