Bock season 2018

Here you go @sneezles61, I brewed this yesterday to kick off a few lagers I want to brew in the next few weeks/months. I went with 34/70 due to time constraints(rehydrated 2 packs). 18 SRM, and TOG 1.076. Therefore my 2018 V3 bock is a doppelbock:

5 lbs Dark Munich
5 lbs Light Munich
4 lbs Vienna
.375 lbs Melanoidin
.25 lbs Carafa II dehusked

.4 oz Magnum bittering
1 oz Tettnanger 5min (wanted to try Hersbrucker as @dannyboy58 had mentioned but alas, LHBS didn’t carry it.)

Safale W-34/70

Traditionally, these are to be ready for Lent so…plenty of time to Celebrate the coming of Spring!

2 Likes

I will do a Miabock… I will really goof it up with Mexican lager yeast… I hope to harvest it this week… I’ve got alot of tettnang… which claims it as spicy… I’ll figure out my grain bill yet this week… I ordered the anvil brew bucket fermenter… So it will receive the test run… perhaps the following W/E… I will try to duplicate Summit Miabock I remembered from years ago… We called it mind blocker! Very tasty offering… Anyone remember or even have the grain bill? Sneezles61

2 Likes

I’ve got a Bock and a Dopplebock lagering in my garage (also a Marzen)
Similar recipe as yours, and I do use both Hersbrucker and Tettanger. The dopple was my 4th batch of the series on WY Bavarian lager (2206?). IMM if I get 3-4 batches on one purchase of yeast, then I have definitely got my money’s worth! Love me some Bock!

2 Likes

Sounds interesting, a blonde bock per the website. A fair amount of info is here: http://www.summitbrewing.com/brews/maibock

1 Like

Thanks for starting a Bock post. Love brewing and drinking them . Have a bit of my Stien Bock left which I used some year old 3470 yeast slurry still made a nice beer. I started up a package of 2206 in a 2gallon batch of a I guess would be a Helles. Pitched a Mexican Lager onto the cake which is fermenting in the garage. I guess that’s opposite from what @sneezles61 is doing since I had no Mexican lager yeast but I did have flaked maize. Next on the cake will be a 10gallon dopplebock 5 gallons of which will get the oak barrel treatment. This is fun

2 Likes

Thank you for the info VooDoo! Now for a search on Moravian malt… Sneezles61

Had a good day today. Gutted 2 baths then stopped at the Brew Cat Pub and got into my bocks

2 Likes

I didn’t see the shingle out as I went by… hhhmmmm… I looked up Moravian 38… It appears to be a heirloom type barely… I couldn’t find out about the number… suspect it has to do with the trial number… That said… I’ll bet, kinda like Vienna malt, there could be a mixture that would mimic it… Sneezles61

As you’ve probably read, it is (usually) a undermodified, or completely unmodified malt. I’ve done step mashes (not decoctions) for “fun” but this malt would likely require it …Weyermann may have something similar in their Bohemian pils malt. Not specifically from Moravia(a state in Eastern Czechoslovakia).

1 Like

Yesterday afternoon I moved the Doppelbock from primary to keg for lagering after diacetyl rest…beautiful Amber color and the 34/70 weihenstephaner yeast harvested for lagers to be brewed later. Also bottled a few with the domino dot technique from @flars /earlier posts. This should be a winner based on the warm flat tasting. :yum: Das schmeckt Mir gut!

1 Like

Tapped this keg of Doppelbock yesterday afternoon and very happy with the result. Sneaky ABV. Gotta remember not a session lager! :laughing:

1 Like

Funny you posted. I’m transferring my doppelbock today out of my oak barrel. Similar color. I’ll let it set in the keg for a couple before putting it on.

1 Like

OH MY… Sneezles61

Doppelbock now thoroughly carbed, (was probably a little undercarbed still on the day I tapped and tasted it with the above photo). One of my best beers, I haven’t done competitions, but …

Anyone else got a Bock going/photos?