BMB Top came off

Almost bought a couple of these until I read the reviews. I have a hard time spending my hard earned money of something that doesn’t work correctly and I have to “fix” to make it perform as it should.

1 Like

The last batch I brewed I just fermented in the kettle. If I want to modify something to seal it might as well be something I already have

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/uploads/db6829/3d95d2214e2bc99f3b659eed25f988ccae1df333

I’ll bet you can buy a hole lota clamps for 40 clams… Sneezles61

1 Like

Saran wrap is a great idea.

I use a 5lb flat weight. It’s heavy, flat, and has a circle in the middle which will still allow you to have an airlock or even a blowoff tube. Don’t ask NB for any help. All you’ll get is a sorry and a list of ways to fix THIER carboys issues.

You are absolutely right. Whether you have the old screw caps like I do that fix reasonably well with Saran Wrap or Keglube, or the new ones with the lids that pop off and go airborne, and have to be pinned down with weights, somebody in engineering missed thee old mark. Used my old glass carboys today(lagering) and reveled in the old (dangerous) joy of technology that works :joy:

2 Likes

I use buckets alot but I know alot of you guys need to watch. You would think someone would just come up with a clear bucket. Probably make a fortune

1 Like

Hey, whats that upside down gizmo with a yeast catcher, and a rack to hold it up? Very pricey, but, you can see thru it!! Sneezles61

Voyeurs… :sunglasses::camera_with_flash:

1 Like

Don’t judge us.

2 Likes

Hell. I’d like a clear lid on a regular bucket…

1 Like

Take some plexiglass and place it on top of your bucket.

With some bricks to hold it down and you will have a homemade bmb

4 Likes

Is there a preference for clay bricks or could I use concrete bricks? I suppose color of bricks to accessorize with the type of yeast too? Like, red bricks for 001 yeast? Sneezles61

Generally red bricks for darker beers and of course Belgian block for Belgian ales and fieldstone for saisons. It only matters if your brewing to style

3 Likes

True. You have to think ahead of time if you’ll be entering the beer into competition.

1 Like

Geez, so when I brew me Duval with saved yeast, use the tumbled belgium block? Does that help reduce the perceived edges a newer yeast can exhibit? Sneezles61

1 Like

I think a cobblestone would be more traditional.

2 Likes

Never use a Briess Brick. :fearful: I use duct tape. Star San exacerbates the issue. Filled a freshly star sanned fermenter and couldn’t keep the lids on at all.

This thread always made me laugh. Glad it came around again