Bloodthirsty Saison

I just saw this kit on NB’s site. Has anyone made it and did you like?

At $60 ? Are you kidding

Click on the details instructions the recipe is right there . If your well stocked brewers like me only thing I’m missing to brew it is yeast and puree.

1 Like

The purée and yeast represent $35 of that $60.
$25 for the rest of the kit didn’t seem that out of line.

So revised question: Has anyone tried dumping 3lbs of blood orange purée in secondary? I’ve always used zest for flavor. The only purée I used was cherry, and I wasn’t completely happy with the result.

Brewed a blood orange hefe and a wit and they turned out great.

1 Like

I’ve done blood orange in a saison. Paired it with cascade and a bit of honey malt. It came out great, but I don’t think you need purée to get some flavor. Zest and juice of 4 blood oranges was plenty to get a nice background flavor. The zest really has a lot of the essential oils, and orange juice is kind of bitter and sour when you remove all the sugars. But that pithy bitterness goes great with fruity hops, although I’m sure it would be nice with earthy or floral hops.

My son brewed a heffe with 4 lb of peach purée in the secondary… I couldn’t taste it when I had one. May be the wheat beer flavor just overpowered it.

That’s not enough peach puree for a five gallon batch of beer to really be able to notice it. 6 pounds gives a nice hint of it. But unlike other fruits where you only let ferment max of two weeks on the fruit. Peaches need a little longer to add flavor try two months. I brew a peach hefe weizen and I rack mine in secondary on top of 6 pound of peach puree and leave it for two months on the peach puree.

1 Like

Wow, ya I guess we really undershot that. No wonder there was not much for results. Thanks for the info.