Block party amber ale increasing avb?

I agree with the rest about following the recipe as is, but if you do or don’t add the sugar to this brew, next time do the opposite. That way you will know how that amount of sugar affects that recipe. I been playing with my Irish Red recipe for the past year and have been (mostly) following Denny Conn’s advice of only changing one ingredient or process at a time so that you will know how that particular change affected your beer.

2 Likes

I played with an irish red recipe for a couple years and never got one I loved…keep us posted.

@dannyboy58 I too equate “flabby” with muddled beers from over complicated grist OR hop bills.

1 Like

Absolutely change the recipe, but on your second batch.

The safest way to change is to keep the malt to hops ratio about equal, so if you want to add a lb of Lite DME, take a look at your grains and hops… if you are adding 1 more pound to a recipe that has 7 pounds that is increasing the malt by 15%… increase the grains and the hops by 15% also. That will mean you have to buy some more ingredients along with your kit (and end up doing things like throwing in an extra 1/4 of of hops). But that will mean you will still have more of the character of the original recipe.