Blending Strawberry and Blueberry Wines (from kits)

So… I have a batch of strawberry wine that I will be stabilizing any day now, ready for bottling in a couple of weeks; and, a batch of blueberry wine about a week behind the strawberry.
I’m thinking of timing them so they are both bottled on the same day, and then blending a bit for a mixed berry type of wine.
Has anybody done this before, from finished kit wine? If so, what were your results? Any thoughts on balance (i.e. proportion of strawberry to blueberry - half and half, or…?)
(I will eventually venture into making wine from scratch, and already plan to try some recipes with multiple fruits/veggies - strawberry rhubarb is high on the list, for example - but for now, I have an opportunity to play with the wine coming from these kits and I don’t want to pass it by!)

That sounds like a great idea. I never brewed a wine kit but don’t see why that would make a difference. I’ve never blended my fruit wine but have blended grape wine. Most of the commercial wine you buy is a blend. What I do is blend it in a glass first at different ratios then decide. It might be helpful to have a couple opinions.

1 Like

I really like that idea - trying different proportions in a glass on bottling day and seeing what provides the best balance. I relate it to making a pie or other dish with berries, it is rarely an exact 50/50 mix that makes for the best taste. I’ll enlist my husband’s help to try a few options… I may also bottle a few in smaller 375 mL sizes that we could open and mix on the spot or something.
There’s also the thought of “what’s the worst that could happen”…? :wink:

I’ve done that with cider. My wife likes cherry cider a bit on the sweet side. I’ll take a measured amount of dry cider and dose it with incremental amounts of sweet cherry juice until she likes it. Then I end up drinking most of it. My son gives his opinion and finishes it off.

2 Likes

Me toying with the idea. Besides. Brewing beer. Try some wine.

1 Like

Wine is fun and alot easier and less work than brewing beer. Wine requires alot more patience.

1 Like

Paitence. Its easy. Can put the bottles away for a year or so. Haha. And might look good as well a wine rack. In my brew area. Do you use kits. Or. Fresh products.

1 Like

@wilcolandzaat I would look into making “wine” from the natural fruits on your island. When tourism returns that’s where the money is.

3 Likes

I agree with @brew_cat about blending in different ratios. And, it can even be done with small, 2oz samples. First I would sample them alone and figure out which has the dominant flavor. Dose the less dominate with small portions of the more dominant until you hit your target.

1 Like

Got to look in to sweet local fruits. Most are sour taste. And. Real small fruits. So. Requires. Lots of pounds of fruit. Before. Exploring. Can i use. Frozen. Grapes. Or cherry. As well to make wine. Normally i like to use frozen fruit. For my kriek style brews

Frozen fruit is great

1 Like