Black Lager Adjuncts

Long time lurker, only have about a dozen brews under my belt. Had a question about my next extract kit. I am looking for advice from anyone who has brewed a black lager that they have tweaked with one adjunct or another for flavor. I’m a serious hop head so obviously I would love to do a serious dry hopping, but am open to other “flavors.”

Also, on a different note, I am looking for rhizomes for Saaz or Spalt but have been unable to source them. Anyone know if they are available ANYWHERE or are they proprietary.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry I can only answer your last question - Saaz and Spalter have been around way, way, too long to be propietary. What kind of beer is this going to be?

It is just another brewers best kit, but I always try something a little different to experiment. I was thinking of adding some molasses to give it a sweet edge like a Schwarzbier, but I have no idea how much. I also have some wild harvested sarsaparilla root, but i think it would just muddy the flavor so I’ll save it for some root beer.

Re: rhizomes- I wonder if there are any members that have sourced these internationally? maybe they are easier to come by across the pond.

well, I chickened out of doing anything crazy with this brew, except boosting the grav with some extra dme. The math yields an ABV of 5.51 about 1% over what the extract kit would normally produce. I’ve transferred into a corny keg to secondary/lager in my keggerator for a few weeks. My question now is this: My cheap dorm fridge find has a less than ideal thermostat. The warmest it goes on the dail is 39f. So unless I wanted to babysit the outlet and plug/unplug the darn thing, this lagering process starts quite abruptly. I did it. I admit it. I went directly from 58f to 39f. anyone else ever had to crash a lager like this? I’ll wager it will be fine, but wondering if anyone else ever had done this before.

It should be fine. Besides, it’s not like the change was instantaneous. Probably still took close to 24 hours to stabilize near 39 from 58.

cheers.

[quote=“pscdouglas”]Long time lurker, only have about a dozen brews under my belt. Had a question about my next extract kit. I am looking for advice from anyone who has brewed a black lager that they have tweaked with one adjunct or another for flavor. I’m a serious hop head so obviously I would love to do a serious dry hopping, but am open to other “flavors.”

Also, on a different note, I am looking for rhizomes for Saaz or Spalt but have been unable to source them. Anyone know if they are available ANYWHERE or are they proprietary.

Thanks in advance![/quote]

A couple of years ago I took the grain bill from my schwarz beer and combined it with the hop schedule and yeast from my czech pils. It turned out pretty good.
I think those rhizomes are available. If you can find a sterling you can use that in place of saaz, they are fairly close and grow better in the U S.

Lets breathe life back into this… Our host got my attention just recently…
I’m thinking next week is a good time to start a Lager series… So brewing this style, are we NOT wanting any flavor from the darkness? Whats your take?
Sneezles61

Some additional information on this style.

Interested in brewing this sometime soon, although I would probably be drinking a keg of this myself, so I better make something I really like (my inner circle/covid pod/ of friends/wife/ neighbors would likely not gravitate to a dark roasty beer that screams homebrew, lol)

Stout is not my jam, so there’s that. So a clean lager profile is preferred.

1 Like

OK… seems like its a very small stout with Lager rather than Ale… I’ve not played with Carafa style malts… Its a de-bittered style malt… No matter what I do, using a dark malt will bring in the heaviness…
hhhmmmm… more plotting and scheming. Simple, small Lager and just a very small amount of very dark malt… Even a chocolate would avoid the bitter side…?
Sneezles61

And our old friend Midnight Wheat.

1 Like

I do have some… An oz enough? Perhaps as a starting point…?
Sneezles61

1/4 lb gave my bock a SRM of 20. I would say 1/2 lb would get you @ SRM of 40… so perhaps 10 oz would be a good black bier.(5 gallon batch of course)
SRM Beer Color - Two Beer Dudes

I’m thinking I went down that road… It would be too much… hide the Pils side of this brew…
I will use the chocolate wheat regardless… I do have a bit more to use up…
Sneezles61

Understood, I remember that. Interestingly the BJCP guideliines have the SRM for Schwarzbier as 17-30! 17 is decidedly not black…so there is room for interpretation. Midnight Wheat is nice because I haven’t detected any flavors from it, just color. So an SRM of 30 might be a good middle ground…six ounces. Thinking out loud.

1 Like

About 5% ABV is a decent road to drive on… I’ll suppose, keep it simple…
50/50 Pils and Wheat…
Next?
Sneezles61
EDIT: scratch the wheat… 80% Pils 20%Vienna… Color with Midnight Wheat… 2 oz…

Agreed. The bock I have in the fermenter currently is close to a Doppelbock, with an expected ABV of 7.3%…thinking I’d like this one to be @ 5% or even a little less…just to have something a little crushable(but with enough body and character to not be a “session beer”, not a fan).

Nice tool to calculate your SRM as you plot your beer…with 2 ounces you’e coming in around SRM of 10-11.

1 Like

That is fun to play with… But it didn’t have a place to say I would drink it out of a black stein! :joy:
It doesn’t appear to get even close to “black” with even 4 oz… I’ll get some de-bittered black malt…
Too much happening today to dive in deep… Tomorrow I’ll get my grainbill together… American-ize it and up the hops? Williamette even?
Sneezles61
EDIT: I have CHOCOLATE wheat… not midnight…

1 Like

Chocolate wheat and Midnight wheat are similar…I think the chocolate wheat may have a bit more flavor contribution than midnight(which is almost none in my experience). Another good discussion of the dark malt/wheat products below.
I know I’ve had good results in the past with the dehusked Carafa Special products II and III, I think @dannyboy58 uses them…good color without the roast.

I do definitely prefer the carafa SPECIAL over midnight wheat. The schwarzbier I brewed with midnight wheat seems to have more roast and chocolate than I prefer or have had in the past. it’s a busier recipe than I like so i can’t blame it entirely on the MW so I won’t use the recipe again anyway.

I really think the NB black lager looks like a good starting point for this style. It’s essentially a darkened pils which is what I feel the style really should be. My last one was more like a “stout lager”.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hear ya, “stout-lager”…not really a thing.

2 Likes