Biab water

I switched to biab from mashing in a Cooler like the Denny design. When I batch sparged I had to add lactic aCid to the sparge water and the grains would drop the ph of the strike water. Now when I do biab will the grains be enough to drop the higher volume of strike waters ph level down? On avg I use about 8.5 gallons of mash water then dunk the bag a few times and let it drip into kettle as I start the boil. When batch sparging it’s about half that volume of water for the strike water.

I do full volume in me keggles, then add what I need to adjust water, and then add the grains. Mine will stay as I mash. Make sense? Sneezles61

1 Like

Ya that makes sense. I to am doing full volume boils as well. So when you drop your ph to the level you want, the grains won’t drop it further? When batch sparging I’d build my water, then in the initial mash the grains would take the ph from 7.2 down around 5.3. Then when I’d sparge I’d adjust that water to 5.3 on with acid since when adding that to the grains they where already pretty much spent.

Using Bru’n Water? When figuring out your water put 8.5gal as mash water and 0 in sparge.

1 Like

I biab with a sparge…use Brunwater and treat both mash and sparge water…when my ph meter was working my mash was always 5.2-5.4.