Best type of chiller

I think so too. It’s going to be interesting enough learning a new system and then throwing new gear and an entire other process in the mix could be a bit hectic

1 Like

Guess we’ll never know…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: haha

Here we are!!

7 Likes

Looking good

Thanks man! I can finally brew on it!

1 Like

What’s the first one? Sneezles61

Zombie dust clone

1 Like

How did your new set up do? Need some tweaking to make it perfect? Sneezles61

I wont know until this weekend.

Same here. Ice to chill the wort. 4 bags of ice. Cool fast. Use a pump to run the ice water true the chiller warmer water comes back in ice water. Takes about 20 min to cool the wort

I still use my stainless IC in the summer months and it’s gets the wort down to 70 in about 25 mins. I do mostly NEIPA’s now so as mentioned above, time is not a huge deal when I do whirlpools anyway. I do most of my brewing in the winter and have been known to do “no-chills” and let the brew sit overnight to chill and then transfer and pitch yeast in the morning. Never had an issue although the beers may have turned out better with an immediate chill :confused:

1 Like

I usually freeze two small buckets worth of ice into big solid blocks the night before brewing. That way, I just drop the bucket into some water and have a sump pump take that chilled water thru my SS IC.

Just got done brewing for the day. 2 and 1/2 hour brew day and the hydra chilled 5 gallons with the pump on creating a whirlpool in about 10 minutes. I’m really pleased with this. Now to clean up. I didnt calculate efficiency yet but the estimated original gravity was 1.065 and I got 1.070 so I’ll have to scale back a bit when following others recipes. All in all, very pleased with the hyra by jaded and the system overall. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Good beer to come,
Grantmesteven

4 Likes

Crazy how an idea can change stuff!! More updates to come, I hope !! Sneezles61

1 Like

Always check what efficiency the recipe is written for then scale it to your efficiency. If it’s written for 70% and you get 80% on your system then you’ll get a higher OG.

On a side, nitpick, note. My brew session isn’t over until the clean up is done. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Haha mine usually isn’t either. It was a 4 hour brew day. I’m curious @dannyboy58 instead of messing with the grain efficiency, what if I just added additional water in the beginning? Say maybe half a gallon or so?

Depends on your system…if you have the space in your MT it’s worth a try. Personally I prefer predictably consistent results.

I BIAB with a sparge. When I added the sparge my efficiency went through the roof. I messed with the gap in my mill for a long time to get my efficiency more predictable and into the 80ish% range. I had to scale back the grain in most of my recipes. If you’re getting much higher than 80-85% efficiency and you can save yourself a few bucks on grain then why not. More for the next brew and won’t have any negative impact on the final product.

If you use brewing software like BeerSmith it’s pretty easy to do.

2 Likes

I do biab and usually get efficiencies in the 80s so we are in the same boat there.

1 Like

Most recipes are written for 70-75% efficiency. I highly recommend BeerSmith. I’m now on BS3 and love most everything about it. Check it out. Very easy to adjust things like efficiency.

I have it on my computer but hardly use my computer. Do you use the mobile version?