Best type of chiller

My brew stand came with an IC and I have tried the IC in a tub of ice feeding the CF I already had. Mid summer here the municipal water only gets in the 60s and the IC still really eats ice. I need to find a container for it closer to its size. Now I use storage bin that is too big. I have also learned, thanks to members here to slow down the flow of water a little. that helped a lot.

The other thing I have done is to put the IC in the kettle and drive down the temp under 100 then switch to the CF. I try to remember to connect the CF and run some boiling wort through before cooling with the IC.

I have never (knocking on wood) had the CF clog. I put the hops in muslin bags and the pick up for the spigot is up enough where I end up tipping the kettle to get the last of the wort. When it’s that low you can see if the gunk is getting ready to go.

Yeh I’ll need to make a decision here

Ok so now as far as the duda diesel chillers, which one?

bigger is better… Sneezles61

I have not chimed in yet because I really love my SS immersion chiller. I would love to play around with faster/ colder but I really am doing just fine as it is. The immersion lets me, without any effort, get down to 170F for my hop stands as well. My only complaint is the water usage but I water the plants with as much of it as I can.

1 Like

Mine is a B3–12A, 30 plate(I think). 1/2 npt for wort and garden hose fittings for water.

Is there a simple way to mount it?

Edit.

I saw on their site they have mounting studs

Mine came with two threaded studs on the back of it that I mounted it on my cart with. I don’t recall if I had to request that or not.

Yeh it says they have metric studs on them

So I started taking measurements today so I can build a bracket to mount my electric controls on that cart and I have decided on getting the duda diesel plate chiller and will mount that on there as well. Stay tuned for pictures of the process.

4 Likes

I think you’ll be happy with the plate chiller. I have been.

Here is what I have come up with so far. Now I need to pull the trigger on a chiller and get that and my pump mounted

1 Like

Whoa, it that ever spiffy! You’ll have fun getting to know your new friend! Sneezles61

So I ended up getting the hydra IC chiller…

1 Like

Just thought it made the most sense for versatility, ease of use, and cleaning. I’ve been getting more into the haze craze and want t to be able to do hop stands and whirlpool

Great start. So this wort hog controller is good for one heating element right? And you set the temp on the digital readout?

How much did that set you back?

Yes its good for one heating element and a pump for recirculation during the mash. Pretty spendy but I bought it with a complete biab system a few years back for just shy of a grand. It has a blichmann boil coil and a few other odds and ends

Whats the voltage? I’m still thinking plate chiller… Sneezles61

240 volts. I might get one in the future I just want to make some beer with it already without having to get hoses and fittings and all that jazz.

You’ll like that better than a plate chiller. Trust me.