Best 10 gallon brew kettle

What is everyone’s favorite 10 gallon brew kettle? With our without thermometer?

Without IMO. I have a Megapot and love it

1 Like

(Edit: Additional thoughts.) Megapots here w/o. I started with one of our host’s kits that included a “free” 8.5 gallon Megapot and an extract kit. I switched to AG very quickly and learned immediately that kettle is way undersized. My next stop was the 15 gallon Megapot which doubled as my mash tun for awhile. Depending on your process, if you do AG you’ll be boiling nearly 7 gallons if you do full volume boils. Not sure what your batch size is but for me, the 15 gallon size works well for my 5 gallon batches. If you’re really, really careful you can boil a 10 gallon batch in it if you get real crazy. Whatever you pick, do your research because there are lots of GREAT option out there. Happy brewing!

2 Likes

What ever you decide I would go without the thermometer in the boil kettle.
The temp prob has a tendency to hook hop/grain bags as well as an immersion chiller. The repeated beating of the temp probe by the immersion chiller can also throw off the accuracy of the thermometer.
Instead of spending money there buy a Thermoworks Thermapen. You can use it for the HLT, the MT, and the BK. You can check temps for yeast rehydration or slurry for pitching. It’s also functional in the kitchen. If you go to their site and sign up for emails the will often send you great sale deals on them as well.

Me do use anvil 10 gal pots

As long as you have a 1/2" NPT port near the bottom, alls good… I’m with Loopie on the Therma pen… Sneezles61

I never understood the thermometer in the kettle except for a HLT. Its just a stubby so not good for a mash tun. And you don’t need it in a boil kettle except maybe for kettle sours but even then not worth the trouble. The mega pot, the SS Brewtech, anvil and blichman are all nice kettles

1 Like

I use the 15 gal Megapot from our host. I have the thermometer and it’s useless with the probe getting in the way as others have stated. My 2 suggestions would be to go bigger than you need and wait for a nice sale!

2 Likes

I don’t have one yet but, a Spike Brewing 10 or 15 gallon kettle is on my really-really-want list!

2 Likes

I’ve a 20 gallon spike kettle… very nice… On my older equipment. I soldered a 1/2" nipple as the output… With that, I was able to thread on a Tee… Using the longest length horizontal,I could then put my threaded thermometer in there… the probe didn’t go into the kettle… Then the short piece of the Tee was pointed downward where a valve was, and that was my output… Really worked slick… I have kinda the same thing on my electric kettle, but now its for an RTD probe… So, what ever is leaving the kettle, you monitor that temp… Git it? Sneezles61

1 Like

Also consider Kegco as an option. I also would agree on no thermometer, but certainly a valve. Having gallon markings is a great feature as well.

4 Likes