Did another comparison this morning while brewing red ale. BS3 acid addition is way high again. It gives a mash addition of 6.6ml lactic acid
With Brunwater 1.2ml in the mash and 3.4 in the sparge gets me to 5.4 mash and 5.4 sparge pH.
I have no trust in the beersmith 3 pH calculations. I know Brad has said in the past that his calculations include a density of acid calculation but my measurements are real world and his acid addition would have put my mash pH WAY low.
I sent a message to Brad through the BS webpage and will update with any response I get from him.
Brad's response was to check the water profile entry and target info and to go through the process and assure my volumes were correct.
The problem may be user error...I'll keep you posted...
OK so I went through the entire water process in BS3 on this beer. Checked that my water profile was entered correctly, it was. Checked that my volumes were correct, they were NOT. I had messed up on creation of my mash profile and it was using ALL my water, batch and sparge, as mash water. This could obviously increase acid demand. So corrected that. Everything looks right. Selected water profile and added gypsum and CaCl. Mash water tab still shows more than 3 times the acid recommended by brunwater. I'm stumped. Will forward the info to Brad and see what he advises.