First, don’t measure by volume, weigh the priming sugar.
Second, Corn sugar and table sugar both work, but require slightly different amounts, so make sure you calculate for the type you’re using. Table sugar is harder to get to dissolve, but it will dissolve. It is also more convenient to buy.
As for how i did it...
- Weigh the correct amount of sugar into a measuring cup.
- Boil water in a tea kettle.
- Add boiling water to the sugar, stirring constantly, until you have about a cup.
- Really. Make sure it’s all dissolved.
- Dump the hot sugar water into the bottling bucket.
- Rack the beer into the bucket
- Gently stir as you rack. You want to mix the sugar, you do NOT want to airate the beer.
Once you have the beer in the bottles, my VERY unscientific formula:
90 - Room temp where the bottles are sitting = Number of days needed to fully carbonate.