Beer request

Got a question if i can brew a special beer for the boss of my daughter. Ok no big deal. A kriek lambic. Never did this. Now question fresh cherries. Or. Cherrie paste. Price of cherries here on island. Way to much. 1lbs. 8us. So thinking. Use half cherries and half paste. Any thoughts?

Is there anything else in the paste like preservatives? If not, should still work out fine. Make sure you use sour cherries or you won’t get a strong flavor.

Look around next week. For them. Only issue. Fermenting temp here on the island. For this kind of brew

Fermentation temps shouldn’t be a big deal. Warmer will speed things up for sure, but if you can keep out oxygen, you should be able to avoid most of the negative things that can happen at warmer temperatures.

Tart cherry juice or concentrate also works great. Chances are you won’t need them for quite a few months, though, as adding fruit is pretty much the last step before bottling. Wait until the base lambic-style beer is ready before adding the fruit, let it ferment out again, and then package. I usually go for around 6 weeks contact time.

1 Like

Pure cherry juice works well for me. Make sure it is 100% juice with no preservatives. Knudsen juice was suggested to me, I think by porkchop. I added it to a simple Belgian style beer after it was about fermented out for a nice background taste that it was hard to put your finger on.

1 Like