Bad yeast and delivery issues

Got grape juice yesterday. This morning I did add Montrachet yeast and it looks like it was past expiration; zero fermentation after 10 hours. My order for new yeast comes in about 6-7 days. Now, my dilemma is this: do I use my wife’s bread baking yeast, or wait 7 days for delivery? I need help.

Just wait. What is the volume of juice and how many yeast packs did you use? I have fermentations that lag 24 hours occasionally, no big deal. I assume you pitched at an appropriate temperature and are maintaining an appropriate temperature.

Where did you get your supplies? Anywhere close where you can grab some actual wine yeast?

1 Like

Ok dont ever use bread yeast. 10hrs is nothing. It will probably go shortly

2 Likes

The yeast is from 2012, I moved twice since than and it was never in the fridge, always in a basement. Feel stupid about it, I know. I have 3 carboys 5 and 6.5 gallon and I put one pkg. or 5 g each. They are in my basement at about 65-68F but I got them cold from winery and may still be a bit colder. For some reason Foch is going like a speed train by itself without any yeast and it is is identical environment. I found a local source for yeast today and looks like with fresh yeast they are all moving. Thank you everybody!

1 Like

Foch going without yeast? Spontaneous fermenting… Hope it isn’t a wild bug…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Wild bug? I don’t know. It popped the stopper twice while we were filling up the other carboys at the winery. I had to buy a stopper with a hole right there before I left. Put an airlock on it when I got home. It was the only one that reacted like a volcano with the expired yeast, it actually overflowed. If I still get wine out of it, I don’t care about bugs; if I drop my sandwich I pick it up and eat it and my entire life I had one vaccine when I was a kid, don’t remember if it was for polio or TB, it was 60+years ago. Just hope I didn’t waste the concord I mixed with it.