Ask for help or not

Well my fellow co worker. At the dive shop. Got him self a home brew kit from our host. For xmas. So he did ask me for help. So last night went to his house gave him advise. And simpel tips. To make it easy. He wanted a 5 gall brew. Gave him grains. The rest he had him self. He did not tell me what kind of beer he had in mind. Turns out a storm the Bastille. Not a first beer you want to brew i think. Turns out. Brew pot to small. No gas burner. Electric stove. No hydrometer. Not the right yeast well. Today. His brew day. He wanted to do it alone. He did not or want to lissen to advise

Some peeps learn on their own… You can lead a horse to water… that doesn’t mean he’ll drink… Sneezles61

2 Likes

You can lead a horse to water… Sounds like you tried to get him on the right path. Sometimes you just have to let folks do their thing help them after the fall.

1 Like

Well the fall came. He forgot to add most the hops. And did not sanatize his fermenting bucket. Me as a nice person gave him a refractometer. His planed. Og 1 065. Ended up with. 1.080. No big deal. But this is not the plan. Strong beer with no hop flav. Only. Bittering hops and nothing more. Told him use blowover hose. Not air lock.

Time to explain writing out the recipe steps with the timing of additions. Including weighing out and labeling the hop additions. Will become part of good note taking all the way to the tasting notes of the finished beer.

Even though his first brewing experience was a partial fail you’re still a good guy for trying to help him off to a good start.

3 Likes

The real pain will be when he gives you a bottle and asks for your opinion.

I get it, I’m stubborn and try to figure things out on my own, but it kills me to see people struggle like that…

1 Like

Same here. Me try to figur out. Lots of things my self. But once you start doing things over and over. You end up with the same mistake. Beter ask questions about our hobby to improve your beer. Or read books. Ask questions or help on a forum. The end result will be great. A awesome beer

2 Likes

Its best he figures it out on his own he will understand the what’s and why’s better. It’s not all about the results. Many Brewers just go about the process and just “cook”. I’m glad he jumped right in to all grain if he decides to use extract he will at least understand what it is.

1 Like