Artificial sweetener?

Ok, I want my cider sweeter than it is. I want it carbonated and I’m bottle conditioning so is artificial sweetening my only option?
I’ve heard that some artificial sweeteners precipitate out if they sit too long and need to be shaken and re-disolved before drinking. True? I don’t like that idea. In fact, I don’t like the idea of artificial sweeteners, period. But this stuff needs a little bit of sweet.
Any wisdom to share?
Thanks!

Lactose or maltodextrin, about 0.5 to 0.75 lb per 5 gallons, will get you where you want to be. I just added something in that range to my last cider and it took the edge off the dryness and tartness perfectly.

1 Like

When do you add it to the brew ? And, what is the shelf life of Lactose ?

Wow, old thread. I don’t even remember this one.

You can add lactose at any time, since it’s not fermentable. The stuff lasts forever on the shelf.

Good. Because if I ordered it, it’s hard to tell what the date on it would be. Hopefully I can find it in town for cheaper.

Try xylitol. It’s the least offensive of the artificial sweeteners. Lactose isn’t really sweet, it just has kind of a heavy mouthfeel.

Thanks. Never heard of that one before. For this batch I guess I’ll try the artificial sweetener I got from Costco, that is just sitting around. If I’m not satisfied with it, I will try your suggestions. I myself don’t see the difference from adding this when bottling, or adding it to your cider before it’s served, like other beverages. :confused:

Still sort of a newbie. I’ve made about a dozen gallon batches so far with mostly good results. only 2 batches that were not palatable. My next batch will be 2 to 3 gallons. I have always added some white sugar at fermentation to boost the AV. I do like the dry tart results. But this time I’m considering going for a little sweeter bottle finished cider. If you have the choice, would it be better to add the lactose with the white sugar at the start of fermentation or prior to bottle finishing? Does lactose dissolve clear or should I expect a cloudy mix at bottle time? I guess adding after gives me the option of splitting the batch into 2 different mixes.

I’ve been reading thru this forum for over a year now and you all have provided some kind, patient and extremely useful information. Thanks in advance for any help.

Schauds

If you know what your yeast is then I would use Lactose. 1lb for 5 gallons is pretty sweet IMO. If you are using wild yeast then they will most likely eat through the lactose as well. With wild strains you will need to kill them or stunt their growth before back sweetening.