Are sours the new IPA

One other thing, sours are pretty seasonal. Great in the summertime on a hot day, especially if you have cyclists or the like in your area. Nothing beats a nice tart, SLIGHTLY salty gose after a long ride. Salty like a Gatorade, just enough to be thirst quenching. Up north, once the snow flies hardly anyone wants to drink them. Not the people off the street, but just the hardcore sour fans. Now a double IPA? Serve it year round. Sours just don’t make consistent money for a brewery year round.

Now @wilcolandzaat might be onto something with porter… remember that England exported more porter to India in the 1800s than pale ale. Must be ok with a tropical climate! And absolutely delicious when the temperatures drop.

1 Like

Not drinking porters in hot summer or after a ride. I’ll disagree about one after the other. I wrecked my gut drinking them. Not sure if they caused my stomach problems but a nice tart cider or tart beer sure settles it.

I’m talking bitter west coast IPA not the NEIPA which I never really liked. Tastes like juice that started to go bad. I make one for a friend but if he doesn’t come around it sits in the keg which pretty much defeats the purpose.

Gee whiz Brew Cat, brew what you drink, sometimes a deviation isn’t too bad… a change of taste on your tongue… Sneezles61

I do but the people coming over only want ipa ipa. I brew 3 gallon batches for myself I have an awesome Belgian wit and a nice saison in bottles now

1 Like

Brew it with fresh peaches, it makes it that much more summery. Toss in some pumpkin for fall.

I just saw a commercial on the the tube for Bud Light… Seems there was a time time with kings and queens and peeps where gathered around adorning them with gifts of alcohol… There where 12-ers of BL, then some guy shows up with a home-brew he was into… The king said “show him the dungeon of dreary”… What a crappy way to endear those of us that buy, support Inbev/NB… Sneezles61

1 Like

I don’t want to look at another peach

I froze a boatload I’ll revisit that this winter

1 Like

ginger,lemon,raspberry sounds pretty interesting really…

Are they acidic?

See I’m not a wit beer guy either. For me it’s IPA and lagers mostly. I still have my summer beers on tap right now a helles, pilsner, marzen and IPA. I’ll do a stout and a dunkel for fall and winter, maybe a porter and a schwarzbier. .

I like that stuff also and it’s what I keg. The wits and saison and the couple sours I’ve done as 3 gallon batches I bottle. I keep a few cold for an occasional treat. It’s like anything if you have it all the time it’s not special.

Sour beers? Very acidic. I’m really into them, but a couple and I’m done.

Finally had one I like but it was still one and done for me.

Cooking my peaches this morning to put my Saison on. Can’t wait to try the finished product! :yum:

Well here is the thing. Not everyone pounds the beer one after the other. At the abv of many craft beer one and done is just about right especially when driving. If I’m at a party or going to have a few I’ll opt for something lighter. This is why when I do go for a craft I’ll want something unique. Of course I’m spoiled having https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/oec-brewing-ordinem-ecentrici-coctores/19612/ in town

2 Likes

Not to beat a dead horse but I just finished reading enlightening article. The gist of which was now that in Bev is buying up all these breweries and demanding the brewery pound out IPAs for the masses. The only way the craft seen can survive is to brew what they can’t or won’t because of the bottom line.

1 Like

To each their own; I actually am the opposite. I can drink several sours, but with IPAs I judge how good they are by how much of the glass I finish before I’m ready to pour the rest out. I can’t think of the last time I’ve finished a glass of IPA and wanted another one. The intense hoppiness is numbing, and to my tastes gets increasingly unpleasant.
I prefer sours, malty ales, and really love well made lagers.

1 Like

Stan Hieronymus’s blog http://appellationbeer.com/blog/monday-beer-links-geeks-marketing-and-walls/ has some commentary and links to articles seem appropriate to this thread.