Aphids

I was picking my hops today when i noticed that there appears to be white as well as yellow glands. Upon closer view they turned out to be aphids. The hops smell great so I harvested anyhow. Will these aphids vacate during drying? Am I wrong to use these hops? Like I said they smell good and look good.

Dehydrated aphids taste just like hops, but they’re cheaper.

You’re fine to use your hops with aphids. No worries. Tons of people do, without any problems. I usually get spider mites, but not this year for some reason. But no problem. Throw them into the beer with the hops. They won’t hurt anything.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]Dehydrated aphids taste just like hops, but they’re cheaper.

You’re fine to use your hops with aphids. No worries. Tons of people do, without any problems. I usually get spider mites, but not this year for some reason. But no problem. Throw them into the beer with the hops. They won’t hurt anything.[/quote]

Kind of figured it would be ok. I’m sure they were probably there the last 5 years I have been growing them. I just never noticed. Im sure the commercial hops have them too. He’ll I bet they lend to head retention and yeast nutrients to a very small extent

They did vacate like I’d hoped! Went out to garage to the window screen I have laying across two saw horses. Most of the aphids,probably a couple thousand, were clumped on one corner of the screen. They looked like green fuzz. I brushed them off then sprayed them with insecticide on the floor away from my hopes. Can’t find any on my mostly died cones. :smiley:

This must be the first year I had aphids I think I would have noticed all this activity before.