Anyone use molasses in their stout?

i’m thinking of using some local molasses in a stout recipe. anyone try this before? any suggestions as to how much to use in a 5 gallon batch?
reason I would like to try is I am a fan of guinness extra stout. and I swear I taste molasses in their somewhere.

I’d start with only a few ounces and see what it tastes like in a few days, then add more if needed.

I’ve used it before in my Reunion 2010 RIS and I like it. I used 1 lb in 18 gallons. I also used 2 lbs brown sugar and 2 lbs Turbinado sugar and a stick of brewers licorice. The beer tastes similar to Bell’s Batch 9000.

I’ve used molasses in a porter, and it came through very strong. I used a jar, not sure of the amount.

Pretty sure Guinness doesn’t use it, but if you do, I agree with Rookie LA, start small for 5 gals.

[quote=“mrv”]I’ve used molasses in a porter, and it came through very strong. I used a jar, not sure of the amount.
Pretty sure Guinness doesn’t use it, but if you do, I agree with Rookie LA, start small for 5 gals.[/quote]

Right…you won’t find molasses in Guinness.

I’ve used in on occasion in both Porter and Stout but in very small amounts…just a couple ounces will be apparent in the flavor. But how much is right for you is something only you can decide. For my tatses, a little goes a long way (and how much or how little will also depend in part on what type of molasses you use)
Molasses can definitely add some depth and complexity. When you get into higher quantities, it can start to add some rum-like notes.
When I do use molasses though, it tends to be in stronger, long aged brews. That’s just a personal preference.

I have used molasses in a porter as well. My advice is to use way less than you think you should use. Even if you only used 1 or 2 ounces you would be able to taste it in the final beer.

I’ve used blackstrap molasses in a RIS a few times. 2 oz was the perfect amount. It should be noted that there are several kinds of molasses. blackstrap is very strong and that’s why I used 2 oz, whereas an earlier poster got away with a pound.

[quote=“beermebeavis”]I’ve used blackstrap molasses in a RIS a few times. 2 oz was the perfect amount. It should be noted that there are several kinds of molasses. blackstrap is very strong and that’s why I used 2 oz, whereas an earlier poster got away with a pound.[/quote]A pound yes but it was a large batch of beer.

Yes this thread is long past I know… But figured I would try anyway. I am getting ready to brew a 6 gal batch of “Baltic Bliss” Porter and the recipe is calling for 1 lb of baking molasses. I realize there is a big difference between that and “black Strap” but after reading this thread I am inclined to at least cut the 1 lb in half if not more (maybe 4-5 oz). I would like to have a taste of molasses but not be over powering.

My advice today is about the same as it was years ago. Use no more than 8 ounces in 5 gallons. It’s a strong flavor.

Thanks. Does it matter that it is not black strap and no sulphur ? i may just use 4-5 oz. I am not looking for an over powering flavor of this, just a background thing. I am glad I asked (and read this thread) as the recipe I found calls for 1 pound for a 6 gallon batch.
Definitely would rather be on the light side verses too much.

I’ve used as much as 12ozs which worked for a porter. But 8 would be enough . I used 3ozs in a Burton and don’t taste it at all

1 Like