Any tips for storing grains?

Can anyone share some tips or suggestions with storing grains? Are mason jars ok for storing specialty grains? Is vacuum sealing better idea? Got a Vittles Vault 50 for the sack of 2 row. Any thoughts or things you’ve learned would be great!

1 Like

I use 1gallon zip lock bags for specialty grains. Grain is fairly stable until you crush. Im assuming you are talking uncrushed

Correct uncrushed

I have 6 "Tupperware " if you will, that hold about a gallon and a half… They’ve got the end you open and pour through… I wonder if it something made to store breakfast cereal… Works plenty good… Sneezles61

3 Likes

Last year I started to store my base grain in one of those large vacuum storage bags intended for clothes and such. I used the last of a 25kg sack a couple of weeks ago and I can definitely say that, after a whole year, the grain smelled and tasted fresher than previous years when I just stored it in a plastic tote. My chief concern in the beginning was the possibility of transferring a plastic/vinyl odor to the grain. But I could not detect any.

I can see that if you have you grains that long. I fortunately don’t have that problem.:wink:

1 Like

Well, specialty grains may take up to a year over here… Especially when I do a one style then move on to the standard house brews… Sneezles61