Another dumb?

Ok, just got done filtering a batch of Mezza Luna white. looks beautiful. My question is that I am seeing some airlock activity?? This is not my first time making kits… Third year so I know it was degassed and cleared beautifully. This is the first time noticing this. Will keep check on it as we will be bottling in a couple of days

Franco,

There’s always a little bit of residual gas in wine. If you got every last molecule out, the wine would actually taste flat and much worse. You have to balance that with the fact that a table wine that is supposed to be flat that turns out fizzy is weird, and if it’s got oak in it, pretty darn awful (oak and carbonation are two of nature’s most powerful enemies, like sharks and bears) so Mezza Luna, with a pile of oak, would definitely be negatively affected.

If your wine cleared and tastes good, it’s pretty much a given that you’ve gotten the bulk of the CO2 out–good man. What you’re probably seeing is a small amount of outgassing. Strangely enough, this is due to the weather.

CO2 actually wants to stay in solution. If you leave a glass of soda on the counter overnight, it’s still a bit fizzy in the morning–even longer if you left it in a cold place, because the gas dissolves more readily in cold liquids. But if you lower the atmospheric pressure, the force holding the CO2 in suspension is lessened and it can start bubbling again.

When the weather is bright and clear it’s because of high-pressure systems. The reading on the barometer goes up and the skies clear. When a storm comes, and the skies cloud and it rains, the barometer reading goes down. This means that the column of air over your location is actually less dense. In extreme cases you can even feel this on your skin when the barometer reading drops really quickly.

As it drops, the pressure holding the gas in your wine is lessened, and it starts bubbling again. It’s not renewed fermentation, and it’s usually not excess CO2, just a consequence of the rain that’s rolling in.

You can leave it for a few days or a week and it will almost certainly stop and be fine.

Tim is right on the money, of course, but I just wanted to add that another cause for bubbling post-fermentation is if you move your carboy from a cool location to a warmer one, the airlock will tend to bubble until everything stabilizes at the warmer temperature.

Thank you for the responses…Just bottled said batch and it is gloriously brilliant!!

Excellent! Enjoy your wine.