Amount of ginger as added flavor

Kona’s Lemongrass Luau is described as having a “pop” of ginger. It’s very mild. No heat. I cloned it and brewed a 2.5 gallon batch and with .75 oz in the last 12 minutes.
I revisited the recipe and brewed a 6 gallon batch.

I tried not to simply scale up the ginger to 6 gal bc I want to avoid overpowering the beer.

What’s your advice on ginger if you want only a slight hint in the final product?

In my experience every crop of ginger is slightly different. I’ve not come up with a way of predicting. I also feel like ginger fades with time. I like strong ginger though. Steeping tea in different proportions and figuring out what a “slight hint” means to you is maybe your best approach. Then scale up from there.

Test- Steeping! Good idea! Thanks!

FWIW my wife make some amazing ginger tea where she just loads up a gallon jar with water and ginger and just cold steeps it. It takes couple days

1 Like

Hey, good tip… We are starting to put the coffee away and break out the cold tea… Sneezles61

Ginger is one of those things that can really overpower your beer. I like @squeegeethree idea of making a tea so you can add a little at a time and sample. In my early days of brewing and trying different things I dumped out a beer with ginger added and one with pine nuts also. Pinesol flavored beer really didn’t cut it. Neither one faded after long waits.

1 Like