Always wanted to try a cider

I’ve been wanting to try making a cider for some time now. I picked up 3 gallons of Mott’s apple juice that says it has no preservatives. I have a packet of S-04 in the fridge and was wondering if it will make a decent cider? I also was wondering about headspace needed. I was planning on using all of the apple juice depending on how much yeast I needed. I could either make less and use a 3 gallon carboy or use it all and put it in a 5 gallon carboy. I also have yeast nutrient laying around. I read a NB pdf that stated 1/4 tsp per gallon was a good starting point. Is the nutrient pitched in as is or so I need to prep it first. Process is similar to beer other than no boiling correct. Sanitize and pitch yeast dry? or rehydrated?

Put it in the 3…both times I’ve brewed a cider there was no krausen…it’s like watching a carbonated beverage bubble in a glass.

1 Like

I agree with @uncdeo. The 15 batches of cider I’ve made had ZERO Krausen. 1/2 tops even with the nutrient.

Took a hydrometer reading today. Reading 1.000 at 73.5° adjusted to 60° and it’s 1.001. It’s pretty darn clear. Quite tart and dry as I figured it would be. I added a small amount of table sugar back into the sample and it actually tasted pretty darn good. So my question is should I kill the yeast back sweeten and bottle still cider or back sweeten with a non fermentable and prime for carbonation?

I personally like my cider carbonated as it lifts the apple flavor and aroma out of it. I would back sweeten with non fermentables and bottle. If you search there are some good ideas in regards to stevia and the likes.

1 Like