Adding whisky

Hey guys, I did an extract porter and was thinking (last minute) of adding some whisky this weekend when I put it in the secondary. I don’t have any of the info on the kit with me now so my question is “in general”. Would adding whisky affect bottle conditioning if the yeast that was used didn’t have that addition in mind?

Northern Brewers Bourbon Barrel Porter kit calls for adding bourbon to the secondary a couple weeks before bottling. I’ve made a few batches if it and been very happy with the results.

Did a few batches i just did toss in the whisky good result. Some say soak it in oak. I dont know the difference. Straight in or let whisky soak in oak cubes and than toss them in

I just added a bottle of Jameson Caskmates stout edition to secondary of an Irish Coffee Oatmeal Chocolate Stout. I’ve had it before and it’s very good. There is no issues with it. It’s a very common thing. Let me know if you want the dilution formula so you can calculate the ABV of what you added

1 Like

I tend towards using Bourbon to soak oak, then add the lot to secondary. Depends on what you’re after. I figure what I like about whisk(e)y is usually from the barrel, so why not amp that up.

When I’m brewing beer, I like to add whiskey to my mouth.

1 Like

Ooh… anybody do a ceremonial hot Scotchie when they brew? While draining off my mash, I grab a little in a small glass (maybe double shot sized). Add a slug of Scotch… it’s delicious.

2 Likes

Now I have to try that… sounds delicious!

OMG HOT SCOTCHIE IS AMAZING!!! THANK YOU BREWING TV… and YouTube
Just made two mugs of it when I brewed an imperial IPA… it was cold… it was raining… Scotchie was perfect

1 Like

That’s why I like this place always learning

1 Like

Now I’ll have to calculate wort loss to prefermentation consumption

1 Like

Some of you that do mash, maybe after you vorlauf, save a cup of first runnings? Sneezles61

Yup after you get it running clear just put a couple shots in your cup and fill the rest with wort. I use a coffee cup

I wouldn’t want to booger up a cup of wort …… :yum: Sneezles61

1 Like

I made a bourbon barrel porter before and it turned out good. I got the kit with the intention of adding the bourbon so I made sure (with advice from the guy at my beer store) to get a yeast that would handle the extra alcohol. I got the kit in question as a Christmas gift so it already had yeast in the kit. I can’t remember what the yeast was and the place that made the kit doesn’t have a web site so I can’t look it up.