adding sugar

For those of you who have backsweetened with good ole cane sugar, I’m curious to know how you add it. Do you just sprinkle it in straight or do you melt it with water and make a syrup? If so, at what ratio H20 to sugar? I have had much better luck melting it down with water (somewhere between 1:2 and 1:4, sugar:water). It adds more easily, involves less stirring, and I can be sure it’s disinfected. I’m doing a lot of backsweetening right now, and I’d thought I’d just cast out a line to see if anyone had a simpler technique or perhaps a way to minimize stirring.

-Brian

I use thawed apple concentrate from the grocery. I believe 3 cans to 5 gals.

I boil the simple syrup 1part water: 2 parts sugar. Cool completely or at least to room temp and add to desired gravity or to taste. I usually let anything I back sweten to site for a few weeks to further clairify and to make sure it does not referment causing bottle bombs.

After you add the syrup/concentrate, do you just stir or do you have another method of mixing that reduces air contact? I usually just stir gently with a spoon but I´d love to avoid having to do that if possible.

I gently stir, not very much because you do not want to introduce a ton of oxygen and potentially oxidize your wine.

More of a wine than cider guy; but I usually add my simple syrup at racking. I pour the cooled water/sugar solution into my clean carboy and rack the wine into it.

Then I let it sit a month again to make sure it is still clear.

[quote=“DMRaschka”]More of a wine than cider guy; but I usually add my simple syrup at racking. I pour the cooled water/sugar solution into my clean carboy and rack the wine into it.

Then I let it sit a month again to make sure it is still clear.[/quote]
This is how I do it and have never had problems with the solutions mixing together.

Adding during racking makes perfect sense, two birds with one stone. Thanks for the ideas.