Adding Priming Sugar to Boil

Brewing an extract IPA. Since I keg and don’t need the 1 lb of priming sugar, ok to put in the boil? If so, when to add and what should I expect?

It will raise OG and dry the beer out a bit. Id probably throw it in at the end of the boil.

1 Like

This a kit or your own recipe? If the kit came with 1lb of corn sugar it might be intended for the boil as that is a TON for priming sugar as you would typically only need 3-5oz for priming.

As @uberculture said, it will increase your OG but dry the beer out as it’s 100% fermentable. Add it late and make sure it dissolves.

You were correct loopie_beer, assumed the purpose of the sugar rather then reading the complete recipe. I’d like to think I would have eventually caught my error, but either way-thanks for saving the brew day!

Kind of strange a pound of sugar for an IPA. I guess they are trying to keep the kit cost down. I’d sub DME

What is the name of the kit and where did it come from? A pound of sugar would be more than double the priming sugar you need. As far as putting it in the boil, go ahead if you want. Just add it at the end or last 15min. I use sugar in a lot of my beers.

Thanks for the helpful responses that prevented an error. Of course this issue was brewer error as sugar was indeed meant for boil. Will attribute to senior moment.

1 Like